Talk

Advanced search

DD's walking isn't progressing because her ankles are floppy! :(

(8 Posts)
Titsalinabumsquash Sun 01-May-16 17:17:39

I'm not sure why I'm posting really, I'm just a bit sad for DD. She has just turned 1 and has been taking wobbly steps for a long time but has never progressed to actually properly walking across a room. She can do 2 maybe 3 before falling.

I know the problem, we have a history of females in our family having severe hyper mobility and you can see her ankles rolling right over when she walks. Her knees and hips are unstable too.
I have always suffered and my mum did too, I'm the sort that physics and Drs like to study because my joints are so loose. sad
My 3 boys have had no problems at all, all walking well by 9 months.

Poor girl, I've had so many comments about how she's not progressing and I'm kind of fed up of it now.
I'm going to get the ball rolling to get her to see they lovely pead physio at the hospital.

starpatch Sun 01-May-16 21:13:49

Good luck with it it's amazing what progress they can make such a young age

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sun 01-May-16 21:29:19

I wouldn't worry too much. Dd couldn't even weight bear until 20 months and walked at 2. 1 is still very young. They can give her special supportive boots which may help. But she will come on a lot anyway.

corythatwas Mon 02-May-16 00:35:58

I would definitely get her seen; if there is a family history of hypermobility she may well need some help. We have that in my family and it left dd with chronic pain; not something that just sorted itself out anyway.

Imnotaslimjim Mon 02-May-16 00:38:25

My DS has hypermobile ankles too, he didn't walk unaided until 19 months. He's now 10 and still needs support but he is a lot more stable. Good luck with the paed physio, its incredible what they can do now

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 02-May-16 05:04:16

Yes I agree you should get her seen. I wasnt recommending just leaving it. Just reassuring.

corythatwas Mon 02-May-16 19:15:46

Agree about amazingness of physios.

LostAtTheFair Sat 07-May-16 19:13:41

We had a similar situation and the physio recommended that my DC wear shoes as much as possible (indoors and outdoors) in order to give extra stability while my DC got familiar with walking. We got supportive boot-like shoes from a good shoe shop. Then, on the advice of the physio, once DC had started walking we started to take off the shoes for short periods during the day so that my DC could practice strengthening his ankles. HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now