Talk

Advanced search

4 month old - delayed but how much should I worry?

(14 Posts)
SweetElizaRose Sat 23-Apr-16 08:36:49

Dd is 17 weeks (11 corrected) and is miles behind.
She's not reaching / grasping / trying to roll / head is still not very stable all the time

I have photos of ds as this time (and he was four weeks prem so not that different) and he's in a highchair. I have one of him at 20 weeks in a door bouncer. He was also turning pages of books not much after 20 weeks and he was reaching and grasping by now and rolling over.

Dd seems miles and miles behind. Will she catch up? I feel so guilty that her development is going to be so slow as she was prem and may never be the person she should have been.

VagueIdeas Sat 23-Apr-16 08:43:25

Talk to your HV.

But honestly, at 11 weeks corrected, this all sounds totally normal. Not trying to roll at 17 weeks sounds totally normal.

Neither of my babies rolled over until six months. Reaching and grasping? I can't remember when either of them did that, but it certainly wasn't 11 weeks.

There is SUCH a wide spectrum of normal at this age, so I think you're worrying unnecessarily when you say you think she's miles and miles behind and will never catch up. She'll get there.

dementedpixie Sat 23-Apr-16 08:46:09

Doesn't sound behind at all. I don't remember mine rolling until much later

whatadrain Sat 23-Apr-16 08:46:47

Honestly I am with the other poster. The spectrum of what a baby can do at that age is so far ranging, I wouldn't be concerned. See your HV for reassurance, but I would imagine they will tell you to watch and wait. I know it's so hard not to worry though.

onemoremummy Sat 23-Apr-16 08:47:10

Mine never rolled... All sounds normal to me.

EsmesBees Sat 23-Apr-16 08:48:28

Mine was full term and would not have sat in a high chair at 17 wks. They do things at different times.

SweetElizaRose Sat 23-Apr-16 08:52:10

She is tracking and turning her head. She sucks her hands a lot so at least she's found them I guess...
She 'talks' and has a toy which she particularly loves so will talk to that a lot. It sounds like 'hello!' sometimes. She will look at books but we are miles off turning pages!

VagueIdeas Sat 23-Apr-16 09:31:51

Turning pages? My eleven month old doesn't do that.

BendydickCuminsnatch Sat 23-Apr-16 09:36:38

Aw bless her, she sounds lovely and just right!

Hope she's feeling better after her cold OP.

Iggi999 Sat 23-Apr-16 09:37:30

She sounds lovely. please get help for your anxieties OP, have you reached out to anyone in RL?

Kariana Sat 23-Apr-16 10:48:26

She sounds absolutely fine. Either you are misremembering your dates or rather than your daughter being behind you were actually blessed with a very advanced son. 17 weeks is early for all the things you describe even in a full term baby. Please don't worry at all. Tummy time will help these things develop but you really don't need to worry. I wouldn't expect page turning for months!

lazyminimoo Mon 25-Apr-16 01:38:41

I think my son didn't try grabbing for things till about 5 months an he never rolled was late to sit up at 10 months he wasn't premature he also was quite late talking but has caught up fine now. Try not to worry most mum's do though if they're baby is not doing certain things at a certain time but every baby is different as I'm sure you know x

MattDillonsPants Mon 25-Apr-16 12:07:51

I agree that it can be disconcerting if your first was quite "able" as a baby. My older DD did everything early...I just didn't realise that...so when DD2 came along I thought she was terribly slow! She wasnt'.

GoodStuffAnnie Mon 25-Apr-16 12:14:45

My 13 month old can only just turn pages.

None of my children could sit properly in a high chair till 9 10 months.

Rolling at 4 6 and 7 months.

It sounds like your ds was v early.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now