Talk

Advanced search

babysign.co.uk course - anybody tried it?

(8 Posts)
purplecat27 Fri 22-Apr-16 12:06:53

I'd like to start learning baby sign with my baby and have been looking at different ways to do this. I know there are lots of DVDs on the topic but I don't have a DVD player! There are courses in our area and I'm thinking of joining one, but it looks like these could get expensive. I've seen an online course on babysign.co.uk, it's £9.99 for 12 months of access to the web content which sounds fairly reasonable as you'd probably pay at least that for a DVD, but I've no idea if it's any good. Has anybody tried it, and if so what did you think of it?

TIA smile

Ferguson Fri 22-Apr-16 17:58:33

Firstly: I think you really ought to get a DVD player! Do you not have a hard-disk recorder for the TV either?

I've no personal experience, but I think there are MNers who have, and have found it useful. It can avoid baby-frustration when they can't yet talk, but do want to communicate.

I once worked with a Down's boy, Yr 1, who couldn't talk and he was learning signing with his TA. Apparently it is much easier to use hands, than to get mouth and vocal chords to talk.

I'll come back if I find out more.

Miloarmadillo1 Fri 22-Apr-16 22:05:12

Most baby sign classes are based on Makaton. You could watch episodes of Something Special, which are on CBeebies (available on the website) to get some ideas. I've done Sing and Sign classes with two of my three children. I think the classes are v good for the songs, repetition of first words, cooperation and sharing, over and above learning the actual signs. There is a free Sing and Sign app that demonstrates some of the signs.
You don't say how old your baby is, but the recommendation is to start with two or three signs that you can use a lot throughout the day, probably 'eat' ( tap the corner of your mouth with the fingers of a closed hand) ' drink' ( mime lifting a cup to your mouth) and 'milk' ( squeeze your hand twice as though you are milking a cow) then add more signs for the things your baby would like to communicate. Always say the word as you sign, the aim is for signing to be a stepping- stone to speech. Accept any approximation of a sign from your baby, and be patient, it might take a few months until they start to sign back, but keep your signs consistent.

purplecat27 Sat 23-Apr-16 21:03:21

Thanks both! Ferguson we don't own any DVDs and our TV doesn't have a recorder!

Miloarmadillo I'll check out that CBeebies show. I remembered that my sister has actually done a Makaton course and is coming to visit next week so I'll have a chat with her about it and see if she can teach me some signs. One of the courses in our area is sing and sign, I know a couple in our NCT group were interested in sign so might go along with them smile.

ShutUpSirius Sat 23-Apr-16 21:10:29

We tried baby sign. My son is now 16 months. He thinks sign is hilarious and refuses to do it. Well that's a lie the only sign he will willingly use is be quiet.

So much so he kept telling my friend to be quiet.

We went to classes. Watched DVDs. Play YouTube videos with babysign. Nada.

LuckySantangelo1 Sat 23-Apr-16 21:13:45

Sing and Sign is great. My son is 10 months old and he loves the classes. The DVD that they give you of the class is also a god send! Definitely recommend.

purplecat27 Mon 25-Apr-16 21:38:40

Lol ShutUp, that reminds me of Ross from friends!

nutmegandginger Tue 26-Apr-16 03:06:33

We did sing and sign. Going to the classes was really good in terms of making sure I knew the signs well, and it's much easier to learn them embedded in songs (and also DD loved them), but reinforcing at home was really important. Having a DVD also helped as DD is obsessed with the DVDs and she has picked up a lot of signs that I've never done with her just from watching them. I'm sure you could do it the way you describe, just by teaching yourself from a website, but it will be harder work than classes as the onus will all be on you to memorise the signs, decide which ones to use, and make sure you're using them often and consistently. Courses will usually let you do a free trial session before you commit, so worth going along once and seeing how you find it.

If you go ahead, bear in mind that there is potentially a long gap before the baby has the dexterity and understanding to sign for himself/herself (depending on how old they are when you start), and you need to keep going, and remember they are taking it in long before they can sign back. I did a term of classes when DD was 6 months. She suddenly started signing just after her first birthday.

As pp said, start with some signs that are simple and that you can use several times a day (eg milk, eat, drink, all gone). 'Where' (palms up and move hands back and forth) is easy to introduce in a game of peekaboo or hiding toys and finding them, and also easy for them to copy. If your baby is old enough to be pointing at things, it's a good opportunity to introduce a sign, as they are signalling to you what they are interested in.

Baby signing has been amazing for us - getting the insight into how their minds work is just brilliant, and it definitely reduces frustration (except when DD makes up her own random sign and then shouts at me because I don't know what it is!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now