Talk

Advanced search

9 month old 0.4 centile for weight

(12 Posts)
bebo100 Wed 20-Apr-16 14:24:37

So my 9 month old is really small. He was full term and 25th centile when born.
He's not skinny, just really petite all over.
No other development issues, although he's slightly later than usual on gross motor (not crawling yet, can't pull himself up to standing), but still within the realms of normal.
I've been trying everything to add calories and feed him up (lots of eggs, cheese, double cream, yoghurts, ground nuts as thickening), but he just doesn't seem to have a particular big appetite. When he doesn't want any more he just seals his mouth shut and shakes his head. We do a mix of spoon fed and finger foods.

So my question is, has anyone been in a similar situation?

How did things work out? Is it just a case of preserving and accepting he may be a tiny child (for now at least)? Or is it likely to be something medical underlying?

Overall he's s really happy smiley baby.

minipie Wed 20-Apr-16 14:32:30

Have you seen the health visitors with him - if so what do they say?

I was told at DD's 1 year check that if a baby was in the 0.4 centile or below at 1 year old then they would consider referring to an endocrinologist (presume for growth hormone tests) so might be worth asking your HV?

Of course some babies are just small and sounds like your DS is in proportion and doing fine developmentally, but might be worth a chat to the HV just to see?

minipie Wed 20-Apr-16 14:33:32

Sorry just realised that my HV was talking about 0.4 centile for height not weight.

What is your LO's height (length) centile do you know?

bebo100 Wed 20-Apr-16 14:40:39

HV just says to feed high calories foods (which I'm already doing) and they'll continue to monitor.
Don't know his exact length. But it's definitely well below average too. He's tiny all over.

Pollyputhtekettleon Wed 20-Apr-16 15:06:50

Anything on the centile chart is still normal so I wouldn't be worrying too much. My 4.5th old is 9th centile for weight and 7th for height so thin and long but she was the 50th for weight when born. Do keep an eye that nothing is really off with all your LOs milestones and make use of your HV to put your mind at test but what you have said in itself would not have me even slightly worried.

Pollyputhtekettleon Wed 20-Apr-16 15:07:33

4.5mth old! 75th for height!

Loops81 Wed 20-Apr-16 15:57:22

Mine is/was also small - I couldn't tell you exactly what centiles but she's just turned two and is the size of most 18 month-olds we see around. She has a tiny appetite too, like you describe, and always has. She's full of energy and has no developmental issues so I've come to the conclusion that she's just naturally petite or may catch up later! PS 9 months is not really late for crawling at all.

ButtfaceMiscreant Wed 20-Apr-16 16:03:49

Has he always been on the 0.4th centile (after birth) or has he recently dropped? One of my twins is 0.4th centile for weight and always has been since birth (he is now 6months). I am not concerned as it is normal for him, having been born on the 9th at 36+6. The health visitors aren't concerned either.

You could always pop along to the GP if you really feel he may have something underlying, but if he has always been on that centile and is generally a well child, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

whatamess0815 Wed 20-Apr-16 16:34:25

given that he was born on a much higher percentile and has dropped significantly, I would run this via the GP to rule out an underlying medical condition. this is the GP 's remit, not HVs. some children are just small but I would want it looked into.

Are you and your DP particularly petite?

EsmesBees Sat 23-Apr-16 19:35:39

Just to say 9 months is not really late for crawling. I know loads of babies who didn't start until 10 months or more.

Artandco Sat 23-Apr-16 19:43:00

Mine never had an appetite until they started walking and burning off energy after 1.
If he's in proportion all over I wouldn't worry right now

lazyminimoo Sun 24-Apr-16 20:07:44

You probably have nothing to worry about long as your baby seems healthy and happy. My son is really short and slim for 3 hes in 18 - 24 month clothes he was born average weight and length but his growth an weight gain was slow so He ended up on the bottom centiles a few weeks after being born an i think he's just naturally small an is taking after me I'm short an most my family is on the shorter side . I was a big baby according to my mum very chubby ha but I ended up being a short slim child an adult. My son is tiny has tiny features ect but in proportion he dosent eat loads an i think it really wouldn't make a difference how much he ate as his got short genes so eating lots extra calories wont change his dna he will never be tall nothing i can do about that he's got lots energy so must be eating enough be prefers eating little and often then big meals as well even as a baby

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now