Talk

Advanced search

18 Month old - Tantrums and Nursery

(4 Posts)
Joesmummy2 Wed 13-Apr-16 20:09:33

Looking for a bit of advice around the above. My DS has just turned 18 months and has been having tantrums for a little while, generally related to not being able to have something he wants, being told no to something, and he throws himself on the floor, throws things around or bangs his head against the sofa/chair. I generally try to ignore/distract him as much as I can but doesn't always work. He's at nursery 3 days a week and has been since he was 10 months and loves it there. They've recently mentioned he tantrums a lot when he's there and throws things so they have to sometimes intervene to stop him hurting himself or another child. Is this normal for his age? I'm worried it will cause problems at nursery if it continues. Not sure if it's related but he's not speaking properly yet, just a handful of words but understands what's being said to him and basic instructions, I.e get your coat, shoes etc. I suppose just looking for a bit of reassurance that this is normal and a phase he will grow out of, or just thr terrible twos come early! He's such a lovely boy most of the time, and has hit all his other milestones on target so not too worried about development etc.

PragmaticWench Wed 13-Apr-16 20:12:50

Completely normal! DS is just eighteen months and has started having tantrums and hitting our hands if we try and comfort him when he wakes and yells at night. Ridiculous!

Sounds like you're doing the right things, don't be shy to talk to nursery and agree a strategy, they should be used to this.

Twistedheartache Wed 13-Apr-16 20:15:44

Not sure if it's "normal" but Dd2 is exactly the same & 18 months in 2 weeks.
DD1 was very verbal at that age so tantrums were different. Definitely started before 2 though but not so bad at nursery

Joesmummy2 Sat 23-Apr-16 12:08:17

Sorry for very delayed reply, thanks all. Nursery have said they are starting to reduce a bit and have noticed at home they don't seem to be over every little thing thankfully! Also seems to have coincided with him sleeping a bit longer so could have been worse as he was tired maybe, who knows! Am taking as it comes for now and enjoying the relative peace!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now