Talk

Advanced search

4 YO DD losing it in the middle of the night

(4 Posts)
Cuppatea14 Tue 12-Apr-16 15:55:44

My dd is nearly 4. She has always been a bit high maintenance but nothing too unmanageable. Recently she is waking up in the middle of the night roaring the house down. It can be anything - her bed is 'scratchy', her leg hurts, she hates her bedroom, she can't sleep... But she properly shouts and roars at us and it can go on for half an hour at a time, several times a night. It's out of character, she's generally a good kid. We are at a loss how to handle it, but worried about punishing as I don't want to give it too much attention and also I'm guessing that there is some underlying stress driving it. Anyone any experience/suggestions? We are all exhausted and I'm worried about her.

MattDillonsPants Wed 13-Apr-16 08:43:58

How are you currently approaching it?

Mine had similar and because I'm just not good at being woken up, as soon as I'd ascertained there was no real reason for the behaviour, I was pretty sharp.

"Go back to bed!" kind of thing and not engaging further.

I know not everyone is short tempered at night and often their very patience with their children results in more of the same...I'm a softie in the day...but at night...I'm not interested unless there's been a real nightmare or sickness!

Cuppatea14 Wed 13-Apr-16 22:09:28

I'm the same, I have zero patience in the middle of the night. Doesn't help that she has a younger sister next door just waiting to be woken up! We kicked off a star chart last night, with the plan to not acknowledge any bad nights and to reward the good nights). Could be coincidence but she did manage to more or less make it through the night unaided. Hopefully it will work again tonight...

MattDillonsPants Wed 13-Apr-16 22:51:40

Yes! That's great OP! Hope it works again for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now