Correcting my 5yo

(10 Posts)
Pigeonpost Sun 10-Apr-16 22:50:44

My DS is in YrR. Recently turned 5. Progressing well with reading, no SEN or other issues. When he goes to the toilet he says "I'm just going *for a toilet*". His siblings (one older, one younger) and DH and I both say "going to the toilet" in the normal way. English is his only language so it's not a translation on his part. He's always said it. I've started correcting him but I don't feel entirely comfortable doing it. I think I should continue to correct him and explain what the correct sentence construction is but can anyone please reassure me this is the correct approach to take? Thanks.

ChangedDays Sun 10-Apr-16 22:57:13

My ds has a speech delay, albeit slight now, so not sure how relative this is but, we correct. By correct I mean repeat back but in the correct term, in a conversational way. I don't tell him he is wrong

ChangedDays Sun 10-Apr-16 22:59:51

Ie. I'm just going for a toilet.
Pardon, sorry I didn't catch you? You're just going to the toilet?

Seems to be working for us.

gallicgirl Sun 10-Apr-16 23:04:31

I prefer to model the correct usage to my 5 year old but I will sometimes correct in a more direct manner.

Pigeonpost Sun 10-Apr-16 23:10:04

Ok so we should just repeat back "going *to the toilet*" and not "no, that's wrong, you should say you are going *to the toilet*"?

ChangedDays Sun 10-Apr-16 23:47:36

I don't really agree with direct correction as it can be confusing but generalised might be ok (apologies, there's a word to explain & can't quite think of it)

gallicgirl Mon 11-Apr-16 12:01:37

That's right Pigeon.

I think any direct correction should be done in a positive way, rather than telling a child they're wrong. I guess methods of correction might depend on the child's abilities too. My 5 year old enjoys playing with words and can understand an age-appropriate explanation.

madamginger Mon 11-Apr-16 12:25:41

My DS has a speech problem and his slt told us to correct him and ask him to repeat the correct phrase, but this is part of his speech therapy and we don't do it every time as it can get a bit much

PresidentCJCregg Mon 11-Apr-16 12:32:57

When DD was working through speech therapy I would frame it back as a question with two possible answers.

So, you could say 'sorry DS, is it going for a toilet, or going to the toilet?'

After a while you only have to say something like 'you're going...' And let him complete the rest.

Pigeonpost Mon 11-Apr-16 18:02:09

Thanks all, really helpful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now