Should I be worried about baby's big head?

(23 Posts)
Jsy123 Sat 09-Apr-16 09:36:58

I'm from the UK and only my baby's weight is monitored. He's been on the curve right around the 50th percentile since he was a month old (he was born on the 25th percentile).

So out of curiosity my dh and I decided to measure his height and head circumstance today - just for fun really. Well now I wish I hadn't because it's caused us both to worry...

Lo's height has gone from the 25th percentile to just below the 2nd percentile (he's 26 inches and 8 months and 1 week. His head circumstance has gone from the 9th percentile to the 98th percentile and is 18.5 inches.

My lo looks Norma (I think!) - he looks well covered, I guess because he's on the short side but I've never really thought his head was particularly big.

A part of me says it can't be important if it's never been monitored at doctors appointments and when I get him weighed but another part of me is worried because that's a big percentile leap for his head.

I'm a FTM, does anyone know if this is something I need to be concerned about?

murphyslaws Sat 09-Apr-16 09:41:33

I'm no expert but I think he looks fine. Heads are sometimes larger and they grow into them. If you are concerned see GP.

By the way he looks so cute xxx

caramac04 Sat 09-Apr-16 09:47:45

Your LO looks absolutely fine and completely normal. My last baby was 9lbs and I always joked his head weighed 6lbs. He did appear to have a big head (flipping huge) for a few years. He is now 6ft tall and built like the proverbial outhouse. He needs his big head. When he was two or three I used to cycle with him in a child seat. He needed an adult size cycle helmet. I have a small head but he is 9 inches taller than I am. I genuinely think your LOL is completely normal...and very gorgeous too smile

Hamsolo Sat 09-Apr-16 09:49:57

Height and head circumference are really hard to measure at home. My hv wouldn't do either at the clinic. I had to go to the GP if I wanted it measured (didn't bother to be honest!). I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of your measurements was out. If you get a GP appointment you can get t checked out properly. He looks fine.

PotOfYoghurt Sat 09-Apr-16 10:21:00

Agree that your measurements are probably out. He's gorgeous!

caramac04 Sat 09-Apr-16 10:30:35

We used to measure heads in UK but haven't done so for many years now mainly because it's rarely useful information. If a child's head is SIGNIFICANTLY under or oversized your HV or GP will notice and act accordingly. If you are worried get LO checked but again, he looks fine .

luckiestgirlintheworld Sat 09-Apr-16 10:34:50

Personally I'd get it checked out. My DS had a massive head but the doctors weren't worried because it grew consistently. They said they would only worry if it made big jumps up in centiles.
He looks fine (gorgeous!) so it's probably nothing, but I'd personally check for peace of mind

Fozzleyplum Sat 09-Apr-16 10:43:42

He looks fine to me. My DS2 had a huge head which he "grew into" aged about 10.

Jsy123 Sat 09-Apr-16 12:24:53

Thanks for the replies - they've made me feel reassured. Both dh and I are tall (I'm 5.9 and dh 6.2) so I'm not too worried about his height, I can't see how he'll be particularly short with us for parents! But I was a bit concerned about his head. I get him weighed regularly and will mention it to the health visitor and depending what they say, I can then take him to the GP to get checked out. Thanks for taking the time to reply! smile

YouSay Sat 09-Apr-16 12:27:37

Gorgeous boy. Looks totally normal.

whatamess0815 Sat 09-Apr-16 15:54:28

chances are you did not measure correctly. I would probably still run it via GP (not HV) to make sure all is well. suppose you don't have any other concerns?

Jsy123 Sat 09-Apr-16 16:23:49

Thanks for the replies. No other concerns - like I said, almost wish we hadn't done it! Was thinking of taking lo to the doctors because he gets pretty constipated every time I try and increase his solids so maybe I could kill two birds with one stone and address both.

SaveSomeSpendSome Sat 09-Apr-16 16:27:56

He does look alittle on the large size head wise. However i think he looks in proportion with the rest of his body.

He has alot of hair so therefore i think it would be difficult to measure his head correctly

Sallyingforth Sat 09-Apr-16 16:39:28

He's gorgeous! And lovely thick hair. You're very fortunate to have him smile

Supposedtobeworking1 Mon 11-Apr-16 13:05:30

He's absolutely beautiful and looks very well proportioned in that photo. Before my son was born I was told that based on his head circumference he was weighing in at being a 12lb baby. I was so stressed as I had this vision of having to give birth to a small sumo wrestler but he came out as 7lb 5oz with an enormous head! He's 8years old now and still has a big head (he wears a men's size cycling helmet and his head is bigger in circumference than mine but he looks proportional and it certainly hasn't caused him any problems developmentally. smile

Jsy123 Mon 11-Apr-16 18:58:33

Just an update - I took lo to the doctors because he was having tummy trouble and I explained my concerns about his measurements. She couldn't measure his height but she did measure his head and I had measures wrong - his head is actually in the 65th percentile so quite a difference!

Feel reassured, I'll get his height peppery measured next time o get him weighed, I've probably fluffed up that measurement too!

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply - I appreciate it.

Hamsolo Mon 11-Apr-16 19:37:20

Ah, that's good news!

luckiestgirlintheworld Tue 12-Apr-16 10:29:14

Great!

eatsleephockeyrepeat Mon 25-Apr-16 13:54:34

I see your query was resolved Jsy, I just wanted to comment to say THANK GOD I'm not the only person who did this!!!

A month or so back I was just curious to see if my LO was "in proportion" as he's on the heavy side; 91st-98th percentile. So I measured his height and head, just for interest.

...oh my God I lost my sh*t! Off the charts his head was, I was in fits; Dr.Google did nothing but fan the flames and I was straight down the clinic at the first possible opportunity!

Safe to say I'd measured it all wrong blush My OH has since confiscated the tape measure. You are not alone.

Jsy123 Mon 25-Apr-16 23:04:18

Lol eatsleephockeyrepeat! Does make me feel better to know I'm not the only one. I actually had his length measured a few days ago too and where I had measured him below the 2nd percentile, he's actually in the 9th. So he's a shorty but not dwarf shorty (as my husband had feared lol!).

Mynd Tue 26-Apr-16 00:15:07

My 5yo DD was 0.4 centile for height, 50 for weight and 98 for head circumference. She's still got a pretty big head (wears hats for teenagers) but she doesn't look strange. 5wo baby DD2 is currently 50 for height, 9 for weight and 92 for head circumference.

TealLove Tue 26-Apr-16 00:24:44

My nephew had a v large head too as a baby. It looked more proportionate as he grew and is fine now.
Funnily enough DD had a tiny head like an apple when she was born grin she too grew proportionately. V nice for my birth though!

NickyEds Tue 26-Apr-16 17:48:58

My ds was born on the 9th centile for weight, the 50th for length and the 90th for head circumference! He was 6 lb 5oz and 6lb of that was head! His head also grew quickly and at one point he was 98th centile. He's two now and has grown into it, his weight has gone up a lot, head growth slowed and height has shot up. People do say how he's grown into it now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now