Next to no response to name

(8 Posts)
notonyurjellybellynelly Fri 08-Apr-16 08:16:43

Just that really.

My 21 month old grandson very rarely responds to his name and I don't know what to think.

He is an emergency c-section baby and I'm not happy with the way he walks, he has a strange gait. Also his fine motor skills. But as the mum of 5 and grandma of 5 I can't really put my finger on what's bothering me. One of my daughters is a special Ed teacher and she also thinks there's reason to be a wee bit concerned - but about what???

We're very familiar with ASD, one of my sons is on the spectrum as are other children in the extended family but when I look at my grandson I can't see ASD at all. Just the niggly things I've mentioned. And I can't even comment on language skills as its a bi-lingual household.

My DIL has agreed that we go for an OT assessment but apart from that can anyone here make sense of what I'm saying

Thank you

MadSprocker Fri 08-Apr-16 17:01:19

I doubt that a c section on its own would contribute to a child having SEN.

MarthaMonkeynuts Fri 08-Apr-16 17:10:26

Are you in the UK? You could ask for an assessment by a Paediatrician of his development.
Not responding to his name could be hearing or social/communication.
Gait/motor skills could be related or unrelated, but if you have a few niggles no harm asking for a development assessment.
Will he have one aged 2 years where you are?

notonyurjellybellynelly Fri 08-Apr-16 18:58:34

Hi Martha. And thank you. No, we're not I'm the uk but any necessary appt can be arranged here very easily. I spoke to my daughter in law today and were going to start with a hearing test and a visit to an OT. We also spotted things in my eldest granddaugter, my daughters girl, very early on because we lived firmly in the world of special needs and she is now known to be dyslexic. She also has CAPD, is clumsy, and has sensory issues. She's just like her uncle, my third child. Her birth was very quick and I believe if a nice passage down the birth canal hasn't happened it can prevent neurons from being switched on that contribute to motor skills which is why I was wondering if the same could apply to a c-section baby. I probably haven't explained that very well though.

I asked today if my grandson is called by his name or if his mums family maybe call him by a nickname in their language but the answer was no, no nickname. And to be honest he's just back from a two month visit to them so just as we're noticing positive things in his development we noticed the next to no response to his name. I did manage to get him to respond a couple of times but only when I said it in a kind sing song voice and when my DIL showed me today that he does respond she also used a sing song voice. At all other times she speaks in a normal voice and he responds to instructions and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with his understanding. He also has a vocabulary but I don't know how many words.

It's great having a lot of experience in the world of special needs but it can also be a double edged sword. We'll start to do the rounds but no doubt it will take a while to really get people on board because he's so young. Just like it did with our granddaughter.

We have about 6 children in the family on the spectrum Including one of my sons who is severely autistic and nothing about my grandson is making me think ASD but there is something going on for sure. oh and he does say his name.

notonyurjellybellynelly Fri 08-Apr-16 18:59:25

Thank you Mad. smile

MarthaMonkeynuts Fri 08-Apr-16 21:04:00

Jelly You're a mum of 5 and grandma of 5. You know typical child development. If something strikes you as not quite right in any respect, even if you can't put your finger on it, trust your instinct.
It may simply he the product of being in a bilingual family, but having his development checked and discussing it with appropriate professionals isn't going to hurt smile

whatamess0815 Sat 09-Apr-16 09:16:24

first thing to do is a hearing test.

have you looked at the m-chat? you can Google it, it is a ASD screening questionnaire. other than that if you have concerns, I would look at a developmental paediatrician rather than OT.

notonyurjellybellynelly Wed 13-Apr-16 18:18:57

Thank you smile.

I see the wee one a couple of times a day. He just lives a couple of doors away and he gets brought round to play in the garden or have a swim. I'm still worried about the no response to his name but I've talked it over with my daughters and I'm view of the new baby being due in about 6 weeks I'm going to sit on my one concern for a wee while longer. It's not a cop out. Honestly. I just need more to go on before I say anything so I'm going to use the next few months to wait and see but I'll also find out where we can get the hearing test done when he's two.

I believe we're switched on enough re the world of certain additional needs for this decision to wait a few months not to have a detrimental affect on my grandson.

thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now