Talk

Advanced search

potty training toddler - but she won't poo. help!!

(8 Posts)
Pocket1 Thu 07-Apr-16 15:24:33

DS is 2.9 and we've been potty training just over a week. After 2 days she'd completely got it and was having zero accidents. During that time we were pretty much at home so she was able to relax and focus. She was very pleased with herself and massively incentivised by stickers and rewards.

Come the weekend when we were out and about she started having accidents poo and wee (--scared of the travel potty?)--. And that unsettled her so much she did a poo in the bath at home one evening which seems to have shaken her!

We've stayed at home for a couple of days to get back on track and shes fine with wee but is refusing to do a poo, says her tummy hurts, she's scared to poo and sobs on the loo. I think it's fear rather than constipation. So I've put a nappy on her as I just don't know what else to do.

What de can I do or try ?

TIA

techgirl Thu 07-Apr-16 19:44:53

Give it time. My DD was dry for a while though only with prompting but continued to soil and would deny it had happened - then suddenly decided she would be clean and dry without prompting and thete have been no problems. No obvious explanation!

Seeyounearertime Thu 07-Apr-16 19:59:18

Sounds like a classic "Three steps forward, two steps back" type deal.
I understand your frustrations though.

Our DD is 3 in a week, we started potty training, got her stickers and a chart on the radiator. We told her,
"Every time you tell mummy or daddy that you need a wee and then you do one on the toilet you get a sticker. If you do a poo you get two stickers. When you get 20 stickers you'll get a surprise"

Well, five days later she had earned her 20 stickers, got her surpirse, then stopped.... Seems the rewards wasn't good enough as she now can't be bothered to win anymore stickers. grin

We had a chat with a HV and nursery staff about it and they kinda said don't worry and that she's got the idea, she'll do it when she's ready. That's what we're going with.

On a side note ..
When my GF fell pregnant, all my work colleagues said the usual shite about changing nappies etc. I found that easy, no problems, potty training otoh.. Urgh.. Gross. confused

Passmethecrisps Thu 07-Apr-16 20:04:00

My dd potty trained at roughly this age I think. She got peeing straight away no hassle. She did a couple of poo accidents and then just refused to poo completely.

We bought a special ladder come seat for the toilet, stickers, rewards and so on.

Unfortunately for dd she ended up badly constipated and would hold on for a week at a time. After two months of that o took her to the GP who prescribed movicol. A few weeks of that worked well in that it made her poo too soft to hold then she slowly learned that it didn't hurt.

She has had a couple of regressions and needs to go back on the movicol but generally now she is fine.

Pocket1 Thu 07-Apr-16 20:12:18

Thank you so much. Appreciate the comments. She managed to go this evening on the potty - there was a suitable fanfare and a present. Hopefully she'll be better from now on. smile

Passmethecrisps Thu 07-Apr-16 20:14:02

Hooray! love a bit of post poo fanfare!

Pocket1 Thu 07-Apr-16 21:32:10

Passmethecrisps there may have been dancing and clapping too. You've got to do what you've got to do! grin

eternalopt Thu 07-Apr-16 21:35:47

My toddler now congratulates me when I've done a poo! Think he's got the message!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now