Talk

Advanced search

3 month old - tummy time and other issues

(18 Posts)
Mawsymoo Wed 06-Apr-16 08:54:24

DS2 turned 3 months on Monday and had a developmental check yesterday. He was born 3 weeks early and has had issues initially with feeding (tongue tie and high arched palette) he was moved to bottles at 6 weeks. He has silent reflux which we did seem to have under control with omeprazole though symptoms have returned in recent days so we're tweaking the dosage. He's also extremely colicky. It hasn't been an easy 3 months.

That's the background- at the checks yesterday the nurse wasn't happy with his head control - I'll be honest he doesn't do huge amounts of "active" tummy time as he screams - but he would do some on my chest etc. So that needs to change - had anyone got any tips for building up the tummy time?

Secondly she asked if he would sit there examining his hands or if he reaches for toys - he doesn't yet (though he chews on his hands a lot).

The third issue is his weight - he is very slow to gain and has dropped a couple of centiles.

As a result of this she is referring him for further assessment. It's likely to be at least a month before I get appointments. I'm so worried about him now. My plan is to see my gp on Friday to discuss the reflux and weight issues and work hard on the tummy time and hope the other issues are just a little delayed.

Not sure why I'm posting really - I'm just hoping someone can give me some hope it will all work out sad

MrsJayy Wed 06-Apr-16 09:03:34

Im sure it will work out you poor thing worrying about him my dds were early 1 6 weeks so were always a wee bit behind but by 6 months caught up fine. You can do tummy time on your lap instead of the floor put him on his back first then turn him over . There was no official tummy time when mine were babies but i used to let them kick about on the play mat then do the over my lap thing but dont upset him if he is crying just do it for as long as he will tolerate. I hope you get the reflux sorted it nasty

TitusAndromedon Wed 06-Apr-16 09:12:19

I'm sorry you're having a tough time. I hope things start to improve soon. For the tummy time, have you tried putting a cushion under him? You can get one of those neck cushions that people use on aeroplanes and put it under his chest, so his arms are resting on it. He will immediately be higher up and he might prefer that position. That really worked with one of my babies.

Mawsymoo Wed 06-Apr-16 09:12:44

Thanks. He will sometimes kick about on a playmat for a while on his back and seems to enjoy it but once I turn him over he gets annoyed. And once he starts crying it's hard to stop him! I just need to persevere I know. I've been so upset since yesterday I'm worried about the future and wondering if things will ever get better. It's one struggle after another.

On the plus side DS1 aced his 22 month developmental check so I keep telling myself I must be doing something right.

Mawsymoo Wed 06-Apr-16 09:13:43

Will try the cushion thanks titus.

MrsJayy Wed 06-Apr-16 09:17:08

Och I am sure he will catch up fine if he has reflux he might be throwing up more than he is taking in try and not worry to much

SweepTheHalls Wed 06-Apr-16 09:18:40

Sounds just like my 3 month old. She will only tolerate about a minute on her tummy! I use a sling a lot for dog walks though and she's developing a great ability to look around noisily that way!
The only toy she has any interest in grabbing is the bell one on her play mat. At her most recent weigh in the HV also noted she had dropped off her line a little but said that all we needed to do as look at a happy, wriggly engaged baby to see that she is thriving. Are you happy with development?

MrsJayy Wed 06-Apr-16 09:23:34

Btw I dont think you are doing anything wrong

Mawsymoo Wed 06-Apr-16 10:21:04

MrsJayy it's silent reflux so he doesn't throw up much.

Sweep I definitely wouldn't call him a happy baby. For a couple of weeks we had the reflux under control and I could see a glimpse of the baby he should be but for the majority of his life he's been miserable. He basically cries most of the time he's awake. He doesn't try to grab and he's dropped a number of centiles since birth. So I'm definitely not happy with his development either. I just don't know what to do

fifthcupofcoffee Wed 06-Apr-16 10:44:45

Hello.
I read your post and it reminded me of my DS- now 4.5.

Using a sling is a great idea and especially one with back support for you- uprightness good for reflux and developing head control.

Some babies like tummy time on your legs like an aeroplane- hard to describe but you lie on your back with legs bent, baby lies face down on your shins with head by your knees.

Build up tummy time gradually - 10 secs, then 20 and so on. Use exciting surfaces like different textured fabrics to lie him on.

I've no advice on the weight thing, professional advice sounds good but I'm sure it will get better. As I'm sure you remember from the first one, it gets easier from 6 months.

FeckOfffCup Wed 06-Apr-16 10:45:20

Oh bless him, and you thanks
If it's any consolation DS was a misery for the first few months and he didn't have any of the issues that your DS has had. It sounds like you've had a rough time so far, try not to be hard on yourself as you're doing all the right things.

When DS was that age I used to lie him across my thighs on his tummy and stroke his back which would sometimes calm him during a crying fit, lots of lying him on my chest and talking to him and tummy time on the floor was only a few minutes at a time and I would lie in front of him.

Have you thought about trying baby massage? My friend had a very colicky baby and massage helped a bit, her Dd really enjoyed it. There were some classes near us for about £30 for a few weeks of sessions, maybe worth looking in to. Hope things improve with the reflux soon.

LunaLunaLovegood Wed 06-Apr-16 10:48:21

I agree with a sling. When your tummy hurts the last thing you want to do is squash it by lying on it.

flowers you are doing a great job.

Mawsymoo Wed 06-Apr-16 13:25:53

Thanks everyone. We've managed a couple of short sessions of tummy time so far today. I did baby massage with DS1 and I've used some of the techniques on DS2 for wind. DS2 hasn't been a fan of the sling so far but I might try him again - I have a boba 4g

madamginger Wed 06-Apr-16 13:39:03

None of mine did tummy time and they all hated it. They are now 5,7 and 9.
They all learnt to crawl and walk as normal.
You don't have to do it if you don't want.

ruby242 Sun 10-Apr-16 09:36:37

Have you had the tongue tie cut? DS finally had his cut at 6 months (I had to pay privately) and the difference is amazing-no more fussy feeding, happier baby and his silent reflux has disappeared. If you haven't had it cut I'd recommend (sorry wasn't clear from your post if you had or not)

DS is 7 months and always hated tummy time too and would cry. He's just recently began to tolerate it more and is developing fine so don't worry-he will get there, is early days. I found he enjoyed it more when he could roll over onto his stomach himself

cavedescreux Sun 10-Apr-16 10:45:23

3 months is very early to be reaching out - I wouldn't worry about that.

triplespin Sun 10-Apr-16 11:39:24

I also have a 3 month old showing no interest in reaching or even batting at toys. HV said to wait another month.

You can also use gym ball for tummy time. My DC prefers that to lying flat on his play mat.

Claire28will Mon 18-Apr-16 19:24:43

Mawsymoo I totally feel for
You on the reflux issue my DD is 4.5 months now and we have had her on omprezole since January and it's been a life saver! However omprezole doesn't totally cute reflux and I found tummy time really hard because as soon as she was laid down she would vomit and i was never able to do it with her very long, I mentioned it to my HV and she said not to sweat it as reflux babies do find tummy time hard and just to keep on practising on my chest, I also found lying her on a nursing pillow on her playmat helped, in the last 2 weeks she suddenly just clicked with it and she's rolling over and can keep her head up all the time whilst on her belly, so having just experienced all this I think your HV is way overreacting
Hope you get the weight issue sorted with the GP though, we were advised to wean early to help with the reflux by a dietician, we have only been doing it the last 2 weeks and I haven't noticed a massive improvement but she really loves her food so fingers crossed it works soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now