Talk

Advanced search

What time your toddler sleep and how long is his day nap?

(18 Posts)
Mumchatting Thu 31-Mar-16 12:24:36

Hi, my 22 months old wakes up everyday around 6am regardless he sleeps at 6 or 9:30pm! Most of the time he sleeps at 9 pm confusedHe also takes a nap during the day 2-3 hours.
I was wondering if I should try to drop his nap completely and then he would go to bed earlier so ideally I would like him to sleep 7pm-7am or 8pm-8am. Does this 'ideal' pattern exist at all?
What time do your toddlers go to sleep and what time they wake up? Do they still take a nap?
I think my son is still too young for dropping the nap time but he goes to sleep too late in the evenings in my opinion.

Any thoughts please?

howiloveanicecupoftea Thu 31-Mar-16 12:52:34

Yes do it!

PennyHasNoSurname Thu 31-Mar-16 12:55:10

Definetly try and drop the nap, even if it is just every other day. Or try and make the naps shorter by having them not in the cot/darkness.

starfish12 Thu 31-Mar-16 16:07:17

I would shorten the day nap as starting point rather than lose it completely...

My 2.5yr old is asleep around 730/8pm, wakes around 630/7am and has 1.5hrs nap at 1pm. He also used to nap for 3 hrs until we cut it back.

Artandco Thu 31-Mar-16 16:11:15

I would just shorted nap slightly.

Mine have usually had 9pm bed but woke 9am at that age.

Make naps maximum of 2 hrs rather that towards 3, then try 8.30pm bedtime. Try to let them have a run around outside between nap and bedtime also

Plateofcrumbs Thu 31-Mar-16 16:23:55

Yes I would try to shorten his nap. I think you can get into a viscous circle where they compensate for shorter nighttime sleeps with a longer daytime map, when you really want the opposite!

In my experience this works for getting them down earlier in the evening. Early wake ups I think are harder to crack!

My 20mo usually sleeps 8pm-7am and naps for 2hrs about 1-3pm.

Having said that I think some babies/toddlers work on a 'sleep begets sleep' basis where they actually sleep worse at night if they have napped poorly. You can only experiment!

PurplePotatoes Thu 31-Mar-16 16:26:52

My DD who is 2.4 goes to bed at 6.30-7 with no nap. If she falls asleep in the car even for 20 mins it can be a real pain getting her to sleep.
I would definitely try shortening the nap

Mumchatting Thu 31-Mar-16 16:27:59

Hi thanks for your responses. We go out twice, morning and afternoon after nap so he does lots of activities.
He never slept till 9am. I wish he did! He always wakes up early it's either 6 or 7 am. I will try to shorten his nap although it's not easy, once he is asleep he sleeps very deeply shock

KissingFish Thu 31-Mar-16 16:37:01

My son always seems to be tired. He's 2 next month. He goes to sleep at 7pm and wakes up about 7am. He sleeps through most nights. So he should be fully charged but by 10am he's knackered and ends up going for another hours nap and then has another about 3pm. Sometimes he'll only have one nap and sometimes he'll have none but mostly he has 2. We just let him nap as he must be tired. He starts falling over and being grumpy if we try to skip a nap when he's tired.

KissingFish Thu 31-Mar-16 16:38:32

Oh and it doesn't matter what time he actually goes to be, he still wakes at 7am. We've tried putting him to bed later so he wakes later, doesn't work.
We've also been really worried when we've put him to bed at 6 because he was knackered that he would wake at 6am. He didn't, still woke at 7.

cornishglos Thu 31-Mar-16 22:37:12

Goes to sleep around 8pm. Sleeps through until about 6am. Naps 2 hours at lunchtime.

Julieb85 Fri 01-Apr-16 11:08:52

I agree with shortening the nap if possible...my DS is intolerable if he doesn't have a nap!!! Ta not pleasant for anyone! Plus I think he has a more disturbed sleep at night as he's overtired.

NeedACleverNN Fri 01-Apr-16 11:12:54

My dd is 3 and has only dropped her nap in the last 6 months. Even now if she's really tired she will have a sleep for 2 hours.

She's usually in bed for 6 and gets up at 7.30

Tangoandcreditcards Fri 01-Apr-16 11:13:24

2.1 yo. Goes to bed 7pm. Wakes 6am or shortly before. (Couple of night-wakings at the mo but he's got a new baby brother).

Naps for 1.5-2h between 10am and lunchtime. Has done since he was 1. Never been able to make an afternoon nap work, not for want of trying.

NickyEds Fri 01-Apr-16 13:19:32

2.3 year old goes to bed at 7.30 and wakes at 6.30 ish. He naps for 2.5 hours but I have to wake him as he'd do 3.5 houes and be uo at 5.30 given the chance. He generally sleeps longer than my 8 months old!

Juanbablo Sun 03-Apr-16 19:37:46

My youngest turned 2 last month and he sleeps 7-6 over night and doesn't have a nap every day, probably 4 times a week for 1-2 hours.

carlaboyle1984 Mon 04-Apr-16 10:16:54

I have a 2 year old and she naps between 45- one hour a day. Bed at 7:30 and wakes between 5-6. X

SansaClegane Mon 04-Apr-16 10:31:20

DS3 is 2y 2m and goes to bed at 7pm, wakes up anywhere between 6.30-7.30am.
He only naps on 1-2 days a week, he's mostly given up on naps. He started dropping them at around 20m which at first made me confused but then I noticed he slept much better at night (over the Christmas holidays, he'd sometimes sleep from 7pm - 8 or 9am which was bliss!).
I'd suggest massively reducing nap time and making sure it's not too late in the day. I don't think you can make a baby drop naps though; if they can't quite get through the day without one, they won't!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now