Talk

Advanced search

11mo only wants dad!

(4 Posts)
MyBreadIsEggy Wed 30-Mar-16 13:55:33

So my DH has been on leave since last Thursday. Usually it's just me and DD at home from around 8am until 5pm. Every day, she is as well behaved as you would expect an 11mo to be! She is fine at meal times, and will settle fine at nap times and bed time!
This week since DH has been home, she has decided she will no longer settle for me at nap times - only goes to sleep if daddy takes her up. Same with bed time. At meal times, she refuses anything I put on her tray, but if daddy puts it there, then it must be OK to eat hmm
That's all well and good when DH is here....but this afternoon he has had to pop into work, and come nap time, DD throws the mother of all tantrums - throwing her dummy, screaming at me, banging her head off the bars of her cot....the whole shebang.
Will she grow out of this?? Do I just have to persevere? It's really breaking me down! I feel like my baby hates me!

lavenderdoilly Wed 30-Mar-16 14:03:22

Of course she doesn't hate you. It's a change. She loved the last change and she's not sure about this one. And you're getting the sticky end of it. It feels horrible when you are in the middle of it and it's not much good telling you it will pass. But it will. Try something to capture her attention - no idea what might work for you but it is usually something unexpected. A toy. A song. A special plate. Footage on YouTube of cute cats. You'll get there. And, I repeat, she doesn't hate you.

lavenderdoilly Wed 30-Mar-16 14:04:10

And fresh air.lots of it to help sleep.

SavoyCabbage Wed 30-Mar-16 14:04:41

She will get over it. Both in the short and the long term.

My oldest dd did this but worse. She would scream if I touched the handles of her buggy and would throw spoons to the ground if I got them out of the drawer. My dh had to do absolutely everything which make me feel awful as I felt like she hated me. And he was on his knees with exhaustion.

She soon learnt that when daddy was out he was out. No matter how much she cried. And she stopped doing it after a couple of weeks. She's never 'rejected' me since and we are really close.

She's 12 now and we are always telling her about it and laughing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now