Advanced search


(10 Posts)
mattis67 Fri 25-Mar-16 21:24:41


My 3 yo started to behave strange recently. I contacted GP and HV and discussed the issues. Most probably it's autism. GP referred her to a health centre (it took her 3 weeks) for assessment but things are going painfully slowly.
My concern is that if it's autism, sooner she gets specialist help higher the chances are for a better life but I read on chats that a diagnosis can take up to 2 years!!!!
We are from abroad living in the UK for the past 8 years but I'm positive I can get a diagnosis back home within months. Do you think NHS will accept a diagnosis from abroad??

VocationalGoat Fri 25-Mar-16 21:34:40

Why don't you get a paediatric referral here? We're doing this for our 22 month old. Your daughter will absolutely get support at the age of 3, support with developmental delays, speech and language therapy, behavioural therapy, etc. She has access to this now, even without a definitive diagnosis of ASD. Talk to your GP again and request a paediatric referral. Push hard.

VocationalGoat Fri 25-Mar-16 21:39:20

By the way, the health centre referral was for hearing, I assume??
This is important.
My daughter, now 6, began to change at 2 1/2 years old. Her behaviour totally changed. They referred her to audiology up at the health centre. She failed her hearing test. She was deaf in both ears on account of glue ear which corrected itself over time. Usually they start with a hearing test mattis.

PeppasNanna Fri 25-Mar-16 22:37:43

After care is very random in the UK. I have 2 ds diagnosed with Autism. We've had no aftercare or support from any HCP.

whatamess0815 Sat 26-Mar-16 08:39:01

you won't get specialist help on the NHS - dx or not. maybe a handful of session Salt and a bit OT but that's it. I wouldn't spent money on a private dx at that point and rather use the money for private therapy.
if a dx is accepted from abroad probably depends which country etc it is from

I have friends who would not get a dx by a private UK based consultant recognised by the NHS.

Msqueen33 Sat 26-Mar-16 08:44:20

My dd is the same age. Her older sister has autism so we suspect she may do too. Support varies per area and from what I've heard private diagnosis in most areas don't hold too much weight and they prefer it from the nhs. I'd ask to go for a proper hearing check and get the gp to refer to paed and then ask paed to refer to education. Good luck. Happy to chat if you want to pm me.

VocationalGoat Sat 26-Mar-16 12:25:17

Support tends to kick in more once they're in nursery/reception. But I think a diagnosis from abroad is not going to change the input or management here in the UK. They stick with the UK guidelines.
1.Referral to audiology
2.Referral to paediatrics if hearing is fine
3.Then, take it from there (speech and language therapy etc.)
Good luck. flowers

noisytoys Sat 26-Mar-16 12:38:22

My daughter has an NHS diagnosis. Her school assumed it was private and wouldn't give any extra support. I had to prove it was an NHS diagnosis for them to take her seriously. Now they are pulling out all the stops to support her.

Paddingtonthebear Sat 26-Mar-16 15:29:56

Out of interest, what changes in behaviour have you noticed?

mattis67 Sun 27-Mar-16 22:27:34

Thank you for the answers!

She was referred to CAMHS. The GP didn't discuss anything with me, she just asked me to fill in a form and posted it to them.
No audiology or paediatrician. I'm quite sure that her hearing is fine but I might go back and ask for an appointment with the paediatrician.

PeppasNanna do you take yours to private therapy?

Paddingtonthebear mostly the tantrums. Many signs were there before but now small things changed and we can see the whole picture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now