Talk

Advanced search

12 month old not not meeting some of milestones should I be worried?

(7 Posts)
Henryandzacsmummy Wed 23-Mar-16 16:17:27

I have a happy little 12 month old boy. I'm worried as I have checked the milestone chart for his age after someone asked me if he had said his first word yet.
He babbles away but hasnt said an actual word yet. He doesn't seem to know what objects are when I talk, he doesnt point.
I feel guilty as I work and do not spend as much time with him as I did his brother (now nearly 4). I try to read to him but all he wants to do is put the book in his mouth.
He isn't interested in baby TV at all but does play happily sometimes on his own.
Should I be worried? Ive noticed that he appears to be lip tied now that his front teeth are through. Could this be causing problems? Any advice or tips on how to help him would be great as I feel so rubbish at the moment.

Chocolatteaddict1 Wed 23-Mar-16 16:51:29

Where does he go while your in work?

I wouldn't worry too much dd2 wasn't good with words at that age and we can't shut her up. If he is in nursary he should be having lots of stimulation and they will be plotting his progresses too. You could have a chat with them

purpleme12 Wed 23-Mar-16 16:54:52

My little girl didn't say any words til 18 months. And wasn't bothered about TV at all til after then

HeadDreamer Wed 23-Mar-16 16:59:13

There's a 12 month review with the HV. Have you done it yet? Have they raised any concerns?

But you shouldn't worry about no words at 12mo. That's far too early. You said he's babbling, so that's a good sign. FWIW, DD1 didn't speak until age 2. DD2 is 18mo and still just babbles. Both are considered normal still.

HeadDreamer Wed 23-Mar-16 17:00:07

DD1 wasn't interested in TV until way over 2. Can't remember when. DD2 does watch TV and tablets from a young age. But it's more that she likes to snuggled up to DD1 and also copies what her older sister does.

I wouldn't worry about that either.

minipie Wed 23-Mar-16 17:30:31

DD2 is 12.5 months and is similar wrt to speech - babbles, definitely no words. There's one or two sounds she makes which seem to mean something (eg 'muh' which means she wants food) but that's it. She likes turning pages of booksbut usually backwards. She only started pointing last week.

DD1 also didn't have any words at 12 months but by 2 was a pretty advanced talker.

Henryandzacsmummy Wed 23-Mar-16 17:48:39

He goes to nursery for 2 half days and my mum has him for the other half of the day and an extra day I guess I am worrying over nothing! It seems like such a long time ago that my other son was that age and I think I freaked myself out when I saw the list plus I hadn't noticed the lip tie so got more freaked lol!
He did ok in his 12 month review but had it early. At the time the main concern was walking but he has started to walk with his Walker and pull himself up on furniture so I'm not too worried about that. Thank you all for putting my mind at ease :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now