Talk

Advanced search

5 year old DD is lying to me

(8 Posts)
dairymilk27 Sun 20-Mar-16 17:25:32

Hi
Hoping someone has some suggestions on how to manage my DD behaviour. She is lying to us about how she is doing in her spellings at school. She is in Y1 and has around 8 each week. By the time of her test she is pretty good at knowing them and has been saying that she is getting full marks. However we have discovered this isn't true! Overall she likes to get her own way, but this lying thing is driving me nuts. I don't mind if she doesn't get all of them right, but I do mind her not being honest. Trying not to overreact but am struggling a bit! Any suggestions would be gratefully received. TIA

lottielou7 Sun 20-Mar-16 17:26:52

She's only 5. Is she lying about anything else or just the spellings?

dairymilk27 Sun 20-Mar-16 17:38:11

At home she has a few times, but I've gotten better at spotting it, so call her on it immediately if she tries too! So this has reduced, I'm speaking to her teacher so will bring it up and get a mechanism in place to find out how she does each week. But I'm so frustrated that I can't just trust her!
It's a good point she is only 5, and I sometimes forget it!

SueDunome Sun 20-Mar-16 17:46:21

Are you putting pressure on her to do well? She is probably just saying what she thinks you want to hear, especially if it's a big thing at home.
Don't overreact, ignore it and don't overdo practising the spellings at home. Praise her whatever score she gets. She is 5, it's all new to her and she needs to develop her confidence and she shouldn't be afraid or ashamed of getting some wrong.

Naughty1205 Sun 20-Mar-16 17:50:12

Ah she's only 5! She's just experimenting at that age, lay off her! I have a 5 year old dd with an amazing imagination and I know she tells me lies now and again but I just take it with a grain of salt, she will grow out of it.

Ferguson Sun 20-Mar-16 19:20:03

Just lay off the poor little thing, and DON'T 'quiz' her on school stuff. Having been a primary TA and helper for over twenty years, children are under enough pressure at school, so please don't compound her stress at home. Leave her to tell you WHAT she wants, WHEN she wants.

Is she reading OK, and generally all right at school?

lottielou7 Sun 20-Mar-16 19:50:34

It's really normal for kids this age to fib about things and even a part of their development and I think as others have said, you need to lay off her about the spellings and cut her some serious slack. She is not going to grow up to be a delinquent because she tells a few fibs. And anyway, maybe she doesn't even remember her score? (My nearly 7 year old doesn't often)

Have you ever heard the phrase 'pick your battles'? The more fuss you make about this, the worse this will be. We have ALL lied occasionally. That doesn't mean we all have the making of a sociopath.

amarmai Fri 25-Mar-16 22:24:56

better to ignore it out of existaence, as watching for it and catching it reinforces the behaviour by paying too much attention to it. Turn it around by watching for and praising when she tells the truth- but not too often and randomly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now