Talk

Advanced search

18 month old banging head deliberately

(6 Posts)
kennycat Wed 16-Mar-16 13:35:22

I don't know how to stop my 18 month old from banging his head on hard surfaces whenhesannoyed, which is frequently! If I take something from him, or move something like a sharp knife out of his reach he will do it. He seems quite highly strung iykwim. It's very very wearing and even more so when his 3 year old sister joins in with the screeching. The more I see of his behaviours the more worried I am that he's a bit aspergic.

YouAreMyRain Wed 16-Mar-16 13:50:55

I think if he's doing it out of frustration that's fairly normal and hopefully will stop when he can communicate better. Try voicing his feelings for him "you are cross because I moved the knife" etc
If he is injuring himself, or doing it to give himself discomfort even when not frustrated (sensory seeking) that could mean that there are other issues but it's too early to tell.

DatsunCogs Wed 16-Mar-16 13:58:38

Your post caught my eye as my DS used to do that too at this age - it was just a phase and a symptom of frustration in line with his fairly strong (stubborn) personality. Now at 4 I'd totally forgotten about it, he's fine and no ill effects even though at least once he bruised his forehead...I hope the same works out for you. Possibly not a helpful post but I hope reassuring!

Danglyweed Wed 16-Mar-16 14:01:36

My 17 month old does this with a cheeky wee smirk on his face, clearly thinks its funny and expects me to tell him no. My eldest dd also did at the same age when she wanted her own way. Ignoring her seemed to work.

KP86 Wed 16-Mar-16 14:21:16

Mine did it too, not for very long. I think he did it out of frustration and boredom. It was definitely part of a tantrum.

I gave him cuddles and comfort, and he stopped after a few weeks. It also helped that I found some new activities for him so he wasn't as bored and frustrated.

Eminybob Wed 16-Mar-16 14:33:14

Yep my 20 month old does it. Less frequently now then he did though so I'm hoping he's growing out of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now