10 year old puberty?

(13 Posts)
WelshMoth Sat 12-Mar-16 07:09:31

DD is 10, very tall and developing a more shapely body. Her breasts are starting to grow, and her hips are getting more shapely.

She's also in pain with her breasts, getting spotty, developing body odour and her moods are awful.

I want to ask about her skin and her moods in particular. Is she too young for oil if evening primrose? I can't think of anything else in that respect to help her keep calm.

Also, what can I buy to help her with her skin? She's getting clusters of spots on her chin and her temple. Is 10 too young for facial wash? We use a flannel and hot water at the moment.

228agreenend Sat 12-Mar-16 07:14:13

It may be worth keeping a note of her mood swings to see if they are cyclical and are the start of periods.

Why don't you use a mild face wash, such as Simple or Dove?

228agreenend Sat 12-Mar-16 07:15:35

Not sure about evening primrose oil. I thought that was for menopausal hot flushes, not mood swings, although I may be wrong.

marmiteloversunite Sat 12-Mar-16 07:20:51

Look into magnesium supplements. They help with mood swings but not sure if she is too young for them. When they first hit puberty their moods are all over the place but it does calm down to just normal pmt after awhile.

WelshMoth Sat 12-Mar-16 07:24:45

Yes, simple face wash - I'll give that a go.

I'll also start noting her moods on my calendar and start monitoring long term. Thank you.

WelshMoth Sat 12-Mar-16 07:31:22

Marmite, I'll look into that. She's such a 'lady' usually, but the last few months have been very trying indeed.

I've checked out other social factors (school, friends etc) but everything seems fine. It must be her hormones awakening with a bang confused

PerettiChelsea Sat 12-Mar-16 07:38:28

I started giving dd a supplement from boots I've forgotten what it was now it really helped I'll see if I can find out.
Re her skin, I know opinion is divided but this young I would stick with very plain / natural products from lush for example. There is some evidence chemicals in skin care/shampoo etc can interfere with hormones in teen girls.

WelshMoth Sat 12-Mar-16 08:10:57

Perreti, thanks. I'll look further into that.

YouMakeMyDreams Sat 12-Mar-16 08:25:32

Dd was the same at this age and her mood swings definitely had a pattern which was easily noted as she had already synced up with me.
I spoke to a pharmacist who recommended a multi vitamin which was actually labelled from aged 12 that also contains evening primrose. Dd is tall so don't know if that was a factor in his advice.
It was about a year after the mood swings started that she started her periods so around 11 1/2. She's nearly 13 now and an absolute delight... Honest.

WelshMoth Sat 12-Mar-16 08:30:38

Dreams....thank you.

That brought a lump to my throat to be honest. I hope it's the same here. Going to town today to look at skincare so I'll ask boots pharmacist too about supplements.

Re skincare. I think I'll persist with the hot flannels but will buy a load so that she can have one every day. I'm not so certain about washes or cleansers now - I may get a tee tree light moisturiser for after washing.

TheFurryMenace Sat 12-Mar-16 08:38:46

The Amie range from Waitrose is paraben and sulphate free and is especially developed for teens. Might be worth a try and not too expensive.

YouMakeMyDreams Sat 12-Mar-16 10:49:20

I was really shocked at the change in Dd at that age really I was. She had always been so good natured then suddenly it felt like overnight she was like an oversized toddler tantruming.
Once the periods actually arrived it was much better. I'm not saying she doesn't still get pmt type symptoms but it's far more settled and more teary than snarly now. I also thinks she's matured into it a bit. She was still a young 10 and herself didn't understand why she was so up and down with her moods. A few years on she has learnt a bit of self control and also what is happening to her.

2016IsANewYearforMe Sat 12-Mar-16 10:56:50

My DD is 12 and seems to get some spots on a monthly basis, though not developed much otherwise. Dado Sens has been surprisingly good. We bought some on holiday, and I was quite sceptical, but felt that we should provide her with at least "hope" in a jar, if not a real solution. She uses the cleanser and normalising cream and it seems to have made a significant improvement without aggravating her skin.

www.dadosens.com/dadosens-en/products/purderm.html

I have to order it online, it's pricy and hard to find.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now