Talk

Advanced search

5.5 yo bed wetting

(6 Posts)
NNat Thu 10-Mar-16 21:21:45

DS 5.5, potty trained for almost 3 years, all good at daytime, however, still in nappies at night and no light at the end of tunnel. It's actually getting worse - size 6+ nappies can't cope with the volume anymore so have to change them about 3 times each night but this still doesn't help, so almost every morning have to change all the bedding, PJ etc.

Any advise on how to deal with this? I tried to wake him up to go to the loo, but he's half asleep and wouldn't wee, but then totally exhausted in the morning with all the consequences at school

DesertOrDessert Fri 11-Mar-16 15:37:52

Don't worry about being dry at night yet. It's hormonal, and not unusual for this to not kick in til 7.

So, need to look at ways to deal with volume over night.
Couple of things. Larger quantities in the day to stretch bladder capacity slightly.
Less fluids after tea.
Double void at bed time, so upstairs, wee, everything else, wee, lights out.
Tena lady in the nappy to increase volume.
And don't stress. flowers

PirateJones Fri 11-Mar-16 15:44:07

It's very tricky at this age because he's too young for the Doctors to prescribe medication, but too old for normal Nappies.

Have you tried drynites pullups over the normal nappy?

If all else fails Libero up and go hold loads and go up to size 7 (You can phone tena and ask for a sample too).

NNat Fri 11-Mar-16 20:40:42

Oh, thanks a lot! It's great to know that it's still ok-ish for his age
Never though of Tena, will give it a go
And by chance I've just seen in Asda some nappies for 4-7yo which seems to fit in terms of size, will try them as well

MindfulBear Mon 21-Mar-16 03:53:38

Following with interest as my almost 4yo has started having accidents at night at least half the week. He is also having accidents in the day albeit less frequently and possibly because he is too busy doing other things.

I still don't understand how they can be dry for so long and then regress like this tho.... Anyone know?

Anyone know how much protection the tena night time pull ups offer? Ie could they cope with a whole bladder full?

FishWithABicycle Mon 21-Mar-16 04:03:36

It's perfectly normal that some children are still wetting at night at this age but that doesn't mean you can't get medical help - see your gp for referral to an enuresis clinic. Meanwhile yes use pull ups for older children or adults whatever fits - yes they can cope with a fill bladder worth.

Don't over restrict liquids - try to get him to drink lots during the day to help stretch the size of his bladder, but then just for the hour before he goes to sleep it should be sips of water only, no big drinks and trying to make a wee at least 3 times during the last half hour before sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now