Talk

Advanced search

Gifted child

(12 Posts)
airhostess Wed 09-Mar-16 10:30:48

Hi I have a 4 yr old DS who the school have classed as Gifted with reading and Maths. Any advice for me. Yes we do have all the behavioural characteristics that come with it.

MantaRayBay Wed 09-Mar-16 10:44:27

What are those characteristics ? Just curious.

Cuttheraisins Wed 09-Mar-16 10:48:20

There is a section in Education for G & t you might find more support there.

At four he is in Nursery or Reception? Which country are you in? And last question, who assessed him? Educational psychologist/ teacher/private assessment?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cuttheraisins Wed 09-Mar-16 10:54:45

The op's ds was classified by the school. In some school, the top 10% of children are classified as G& T where as other schools don't have G&T policies or classifications at all. Other schools (some private) will have their own classification. I am just curious to know why the op is so economical with the post I suspect it's not a genuine post personally.

Cuttheraisins Wed 09-Mar-16 10:56:29

Also, in many schools the 'label ' of G&T starters in year 2 or 3. At 4 it's very very young so the child was either assessed privately or is really exceptional.

airhostess Wed 09-Mar-16 13:44:17

Hi, it is a genuine post. I was in a rush and didn't have the time to 'fluff' out the post. I'm only after advice from people that can offer it.
Thank you

Micah Wed 09-Mar-16 13:52:30

Nobody can really offer advice until you read pp and answer the questions.

"G&t" can cover a huge range of ability, from average in a school where everyone else is below average, to "oh shit, how are we going to deal with this kid".

Mine is g&t. We try to keep them as grounded and normal as possible, and educated with their peers. We just make small changes and allowances to accomodate, as does the school.

We need the fluff to advise properly.

And yes, what is "the behaviour that goes with it"? Mine is a normal kid as far as behaviour, just has a talent.

Cuttheraisins Wed 09-Mar-16 13:58:32

What is your question exactly? Also, it would be very helpful if you could answer some of the questions above, people might be slightly more willing to help and answer.

I have a ds who is G&T (maths), he is in year 4, but we treat him exactly the same as our other son, we play, enjoy each other's company, encourage team and individual sport, Cubs, encourage him to cook, bake, help set the table, play the piano. We don't treat him any differently, except that he gets more challenging work at school and needs a lot of stimulation at home, which we try to provide through a variety of channels, including programming and writing his own book, taking photography lessons and teaching himself to play the guitar with the help of YouTube. He doesn't get private tuition and he is in a normal state school and will very probably go to a normal state secondary. And I do not agree at all that all gifted children have similar behaviour characteristics trust me they don't. Their personalities and attributes are as diverse as all other children. Some will be talkative, cheeky, other will be quiet and shy, introvert, extrovert, and the way they like to learn is also very diverse.

We give hundreds of praise and kisses every week, exactly the same as his big brother. So that's my tips.good luck

Cuttheraisins Wed 09-Mar-16 13:59:50

X post micah

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

guerre Wed 09-Mar-16 14:14:49

My children were G&T at that age, but no behavioural issues at all. What advice do you need?
How to address behaviours? (You'd need to describe them) how to support him (you'd need to detail what school have suggested)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now