Talk

Advanced search

2.7 DS forgotten all his colours

(17 Posts)
Flingingmelon Mon 29-Feb-16 13:21:32

He knew red, blue, yellow, green, occasionally some of the others. If you pointed to something and asked for him to tell you the colour, he'd have a go.

For the last few weeks if I ask I get a boiler plate answer 'I don't know mummy.'

AFAIK he's not had any sort of head bump that might have affected his vision. Everything else seems fine.

Is he just going through some toddler phase I don't know about?

littleducks Mon 29-Feb-16 13:22:49

He is bored of you asking?

VagueIdeas Mon 29-Feb-16 13:23:51

Are you sure he's forgotten them? Answering "I don't know" might just mean be he can't be bothered to answer you grin

Jasonandyawegunorts Mon 29-Feb-16 14:09:13

I doubt he's forgotten them, he's probably just bored of colours now.

Bluecarrot Mon 29-Feb-16 14:11:25

You are asking him stuff he already knows. What about new colours/ numbers etc.
Or randomly ask him to go get you the red cup/ball/tshirt and see what he does.

annoyedofnorwich Mon 29-Feb-16 14:12:24

Do some colouring with him. Ask him to pass you the blue one. He might be having a phase of not appreciating direct questions!

Flingingmelon Mon 29-Feb-16 14:24:01

I'm not sure whether it's being tired of questions per se, he's still very happy to identify numbers, animals and other stuff.

He might be bored of colours though, going to try some stealth asking with the duplo though. Good idea.

Believeitornot Mon 29-Feb-16 14:25:27

I don't know mummy is that my ds says when he actually means "I don't want to" or "I've forgotten"

I'm guessing it's the former with your ds.

He's 2. I'm sure he's fine. Just leave him be.

IsItMeOr Mon 29-Feb-16 14:25:54

I think of this as the "I'm not a performing monkey" phase of development wink.

Stealthy is definitely the way to go.

Cuttheraisins Mon 29-Feb-16 14:27:04

Sometimes children get bored of being asked questions. Just say the colours as you speak to him and say things like 'I spy with my little eye something that is red' and integrate learning and saying colours as part of games.

Flingingmelon Mon 29-Feb-16 14:27:31

You are all perfectly correct. Just asked if he wanted his blue or red shoes. Told me he wanted his blue ones, picked up blue ones.

I can happily report to DH that I haven't broken him grin

Jasonandyawegunorts Mon 29-Feb-16 14:29:09

grin

IsItMeOr Mon 29-Feb-16 16:07:19

I've certainly had that "I've broken the baby/child" moment OP.

Glad you figured out what was going on.

Bambooshoots14 Mon 29-Feb-16 16:52:00

Ha ha my 2 year old is like this some days and will tell you the wrong colour on purpose. Definitely not a performing monkey

Ifiwasabadger Tue 01-Mar-16 19:31:01

Mine is the same age and doesn't speak at all, I'd say you were doing ok!

SnozzberryWibble Sat 05-Mar-16 14:03:39

Mine is 22 months and knows his colours, animals etc. but won't often point stuff out on demand, I think it's just not something that he feels excited about, he's in the mood for playing his own games and looking at books in his own way, not having activities directed by me. I think it's normal.

Jesabel Sat 05-Mar-16 14:08:35

He's probably thinking why on earth is she asking me questions she already knows the answer to?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now