Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Unsure if it's colic!

(6 Posts)
Elliekb Wed 24-Feb-16 04:23:06

Hello mummies
Desperately looking for advice or help. I'm exclusively breastfeeding my (rather large!) baby who is now 6 weeks. He seems to have a lot of wind which comes out the bottom end, on a regular basis this seems to cause him a lot of discomfort, though not all the time. When he actually poo's he is fine but the build up can be an emotional time for him. I'm at my wits end with it really as he wakes himself up overnight with it and is very grizzly when he does. Last night was awful, screaming and crying most of the evening and he just wouldn't settle until 2am. I don't think it is colic as it's not trapped wind as such, a few weeks back i had been using infacol but didn't really feel it was doing anything. I have been using gripe water on the occasions when I can't burp him after a feed but most of the time I can burp him but then we still have so much wind come out the other end. He goes so red and makes his whole body rigid, legs up in the air etc. you can't massage him very easily as he gets in such a state that it's impossible. I'm sure he would sleep better and wake less if he didn't have it. The crying is so hard to deal with as you just feel like he is pain with it. Does anyone else experience this or have any tips? Or is this just all normal?!
X

DrE678 Wed 24-Feb-16 04:40:28

My two always found bicycling their legs helpful to release wind. I also found if I put them on my shoulder and rubbed their lower back with their knees pulled up that it helped release it. It is horrible to see but very common. It will pass but I know it is distressing to witness night after night. It's also worth looking at your diet to limit gassy foods and foods he might be reacting too such as chocolate, caffeine, fizzy drinks, sometimes dairy etc.

Elliekb Wed 24-Feb-16 05:21:05

Thanks, I have tried to bicycling legs trick but I'm not convinced in doing it right, I'm starting baby massage next week though so fingers crossed it helps. I'll try the shoulder one with legs up though thanks. I have a pretty healthy diet and had already cut out broccoli and citrus etc but it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. I'm reluctant to use infacol, dentinox etc as I'm not sure it's what would really be classed as colic?

DrE678 Wed 24-Feb-16 05:33:10

Infacol, colief and gripe water worked for my DD at different stages. Infacol is good for trapped wind if you do want to try. You can use it for two days and then stop until the wind builds up again, they don't need to be on it all the time. Colief and gripe water are a bit more of a pain as you mix them with a bit of expressed milk. If all else fails I would consider trying infacol. Both of mine grew out of the worst of it around 3 months.

Elliekb Sat 27-Feb-16 03:47:06

Thanks for the advice. Had the health visitor round this morning and he had one of the crying bouts while she was here, she thinks it could be acid reflux which now I know about it makes a lot of sense

icklekid Sat 27-Feb-16 04:33:55

Glad your getting advice. Reflux is horrible so hope you manage to get that under control and that it makes a big difference

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now