Talk

Advanced search

ds is 3 in June and won't sing?

(6 Posts)
ItsAllAboutTheCakes Fri 19-Feb-16 09:17:42

Ds is 3 this June and has never sung or even attempted to hum a tune. He joins in with actions when he's at baby groups but doesn't sing the songs at all. If i sing a song and miss out a word he can fill it in. He speaks very well and there are no hearing issues that we kmow of. He just isn't interested at all.
Is this normal? Anyone else's dc not interested in nursery rhymes?

Ferguson Sat 20-Feb-16 18:26:01

I can't remember what our DS was like regards 'singing', as it is thirty years ago (!), but he DID like music, and would go on the Yamaha organ that mum and I were learning at that time. He also listened to nursery tapes, that had been recorded 'live' by a county adviser in nursery care and music with young children.

So, if you can provide him with some suitable percussion instruments, xylophone, or sleigh-bells etc, he might prefer to perform in an 'accompanying' role rather than be the 'lead singer'!

Or, better still, if you can afford a Keyboard (at least 61 full size keys, not a toy one) three is a good age to start to learn about making music. There are plenty of 'starter' tutor books for that age group.

BarbarianMum Sat 20-Feb-16 18:38:55

Ds 1 was just like this. Sometimes I'd hear him singing snatches of music group songs to himself in his rooms but in front of anyone else, never. Still won't

Quietattheback Sat 20-Feb-16 18:42:01

DS1 point blank refused to sing until he was about 5. He's now in the choir at school and sung at the O2 and all sorts. I wouldn't let it worry you too much, toddlers are quirky little things.

ItsAllAboutTheCakes Sun 21-Feb-16 14:32:42

Thank you everyone. He likes instruments and is really into playing dds guitar and having a go on her keyboard so maybe he's just being stubborn grin

Ferguson Sun 21-Feb-16 20:07:48

That's good he has access to music (even if at DD's expense!) - how old is DD, and can she play her instruments?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now