Teething and Calpol

(5 Posts)
fifthcupofcoffee Tue 16-Feb-16 21:38:19

DS is going through teething - first 4 all came together in January and now #5 is coming too. I've been trying to limit Calpol use to nights only and to not use whenever I think he's ok, but am growing concerned that as teething has been horrible for a good 6 weeks now, he's having far too much. Generally I find one dose is enough at night to get through in combination with teething gel. Any thoughts?

Bostin Tue 16-Feb-16 22:21:23

I think that is fine. The amount we are 'allowed' to give is far far lower than the dose he would be given in hospital if he needed it. I once accidental gave one of mine a double dose of ibuprofen and it was still well within the safe dose allowed for her weight/age.

minipie Wed 17-Feb-16 15:41:07

I will admit I used shedloads of calpol and nurofen on DD when she was teething. Like you I limited it to at night and just once a night except for the worst nights. But even so, at times she had it every night for weeks on end. She is a light sleeper and would wake frequently if she was in any phase of teething, unless given medication.

I felt bad about it but was reassured by hearing that it is very very weak. And since her teeth have all come in she's hardly ever had it.

Do be careful about morning tooth brushing though, if you're using the sugared one.

StringTheory Wed 17-Feb-16 15:43:47

I found baby nurofen more effective with teething. You just need to make sure they take nurofen on a full tummy as it can cause tummy probs.

fifthcupofcoffee Wed 17-Feb-16 20:04:08

Thanks all, helpful advice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now