Talk

Advanced search

pull up pants

(8 Posts)
Frazzled2207 Tue 16-Feb-16 17:39:55

I'm going to sound really dim here but what is the point of pull up pants. Can they be used interchangeably with nappies, I thought so but having bought some (huggies) they seem really thin! And what is the point of wearing them if toilet training?

Point being my 2.6 yr old DS is about to start a new playgroup and although they prefer kids to be toilet trained, they say it's fine if they're not, but prefer them to use pull ups. DS is not anywhere near ready to be trained, all attempts to get him to use a potty have failed thus far. To go to the new playgroup should I put him in pull ups as they say or just insist that he wears nappies. Tbf he will only be there for a couple of hours and I expect will rarely need to be changed, almost never does number 2s outside the house!

MerryMarigold Tue 16-Feb-16 18:07:14

The point is that they can put him on the toilet if they think he needs it (eg. 10 mins after snack/ drink time), encourage him to go if he looks like he needs it etc. It is a lot easier to pull the pull-up up and down whilst doing these non-intensive potty training, rather than take a nappy on/ off, on/ off. Dd used pull ups for ages as she was sporadic in her ability to recognise when she needed to go, but 50% of the time she got it. They were invaluable.

starpatch Tue 16-Feb-16 20:33:54

We tried pull ups for a while when potty training. For us they didn't have any advantage over nappies. There are cheap ones at lidl which you could try for playgroup.

Frazzled2207 Wed 17-Feb-16 09:47:20

Right, thanks both.
So what you're saying is it should be fine to use them instead of nappies? Should I worry about the fact they're much thinner (do need to be changed more often?).
Guess I will put them on ds this weekend and see what he thinkssmile

ArriettyMatilda Wed 17-Feb-16 19:05:52

I think there are a particular type of Huggies that are designed for potty training so may not hold as much wee. Possibly there will be some info on the packet. However most are interchangeable with nappies and so if potty training may not help then learn that they'll get wet if they don't go on the toilet or potty. The potty training ones hold less wee.

Frazzled2207 Wed 17-Feb-16 20:38:11

Ah! That makes more sense as the ones I go do indeed say "for potty training".
I just grabbed them as they were on offer, I'll take more notice of the supermarket selection!

Clarella Wed 17-Feb-16 21:01:19

Our nursery were very hmm about them (they did 'toilet learning' etc) calling them a waste of money snd I must admit I ended up getting as frustrated with them as ds did. He seemed to struggle to get them down (just undid nappy) and if a bigger size they leaked. He got confused by them so we stuck to nappies till he seemed to be very keen on pants (having had occasional practices in the house). Basically when he started taking his nappy off to go to the potty it was clear he was ready. A few little accidents at first then fine. I know not all children are like this though.

fluffypacman Wed 17-Feb-16 22:19:06

Huggies pull ups hold less but they also give the child a little feedback (supposedly) when they've wet themselves as they let the child feel a bit wet which I suppose can be useful for building awareness. I have used tesco and aldi own brand which are a faff as you have to take off all the clothes to get the pull up nappies on. We still use these at night though as hubby was always putting nappies on sloppily so we'd get leaks. Huggies can also be fastened in a similar way to a nappy as well as just being pulled up. My lg used cloth nappies until recently so had some awareness of when she was wet and I wanted to retain that until we're fully pt. up until now she just does a couple of wees a day on the potty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now