Talk

Advanced search

3 yr old has Tonsilitis - has not eaten much in 3 weeks and has lost weight!! Won't take antibiotics!!

(8 Posts)
OD88 Wed 10-Feb-16 20:14:55

Hi my 3 yr old boy has been diagnosed with tonsilitis on Mon by dr. Has been given orange liquidy antibiotics (penicilin) but won't take it at all!! Have tried giving it to him on spoon, syringe, in his milk, orange juice, and in a smoothie - he notices and won't drink them!! sad He has visibily lost weight as well... He looks much thinner and have noticed that his underwear and jeans are much looser! I don't know what to do, I've tried giving him everything that he asks for, and I've just given him some food/fruit/choc/cereal/yogurts but he just isn't interested! I'm worried that he's going to lose more weight and have issues with food! He's normally quite a fussy eater and will only eat the foods that he's used to... Will not try anything new. Any help/advice would be much appreaciated!! Thanks xx

SoftSheen Wed 10-Feb-16 20:18:54

Try putting the medicine in some Frijj thick chocolate milkshake.

Pooka Wed 10-Feb-16 20:19:21

You may need to be more forceful with the syringe method - none of mine ever liked the taste (the orange one is foul) but they needed them and to finish the course. On occasion it involved dh holding and me getting the syringe into mouth.

Alternatively, contact the GP/pharmacist and see whether they can prescribe in different format I.e suppositories.

Thethingswedoforlove Wed 10-Feb-16 20:24:22

Echo force feeding medicine where necessary.

nephrofox Wed 10-Feb-16 20:25:12

Pin him down and squirt it in. I tell mine we can do it the nice way (spoon followed by choc button) or the horrible way (pinned down with syringe). They usually comply!

cestlavielife Wed 10-Feb-16 20:32:07

Get syringe ready.

Sit him on your left knee
Put his right hand behind your back. So he can't hit
Put your right leg over his so he can't kick
Put your left hand around him
Get syringe hold him close and syringe in

He is three
Honda him and get the meds in him

cestlavielife Wed 10-Feb-16 20:32:24

Hold him

EatDessertFirst Thu 11-Feb-16 08:17:27

Definately force the meds. That orange one is hideous but he's 3! You are the parent and you decide whats best for him. cest has described the perfect technique.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now