Talk

Advanced search

Wonder Weeks - developmental leaps after 18 months?

(4 Posts)
milkbeast Sat 06-Feb-16 11:20:26

I know some people think the Wonder Weeks is a load of rubbish, however I found it to be spookily accurate for my DD, not to mention very useful. I have just finished reading the book and it says that the next leap is around 20-21 months old, and that children and teens experience more leaps. There is no information in the book about the 20-21 month leap or any future leaps and I'm keen to find out more about this, as I find it fascinating.

I'm rubbish at searching for the right pieces of research and was wondering if anyone had read anything about developmental leaps at age 18 months plus? I'm particularly interested in how the toddler/child changes, things they will become interested in (found Wonder Weeks v useful for this) and whether the brain changes/leaps still happen at around the same time in all children, or whether nurture or their environment can affect this.

Surely I can't be the only person who has wondered this?

museumum Sat 06-Feb-16 11:22:28

My ds is nearly 2.5 and we have found among his peers that it's all a lot more variable and individual now. There have been "leaps" that we've noticed (language, imaginative play etc) but they've not been at set times or even in the same order for each toddler.

milkbeast Sun 07-Feb-16 06:34:02

Thanks museumum - that's interesting. Might repost elsewhere for more traffic unless a few more people weigh in...

susan198130 Fri 12-Feb-16 21:44:53

I always thought the Wonder Weeks were a load of old rubbish but both my sons went through the sleep troubles that come with them bang on time. I didn't really notice any major leaps with my eldest but I know that when my youngest went through one, on the other side of it, his language skills were superb! By 18 months or so, he could recite the alphabet in order. He's now 2 (turned 2 at the end of October) and he can count to 14, knows every letter of the alphabet, knows his numbers. But I think this may just be this "thing" if that makes sense. Just something that he excelled at. Whereas my eldest (now 3.5) was much better at the physical things. Be could roll a ball back and forth at 10 months, work the laptop at 2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now