Talk

Advanced search

21 months, lining things up?

(10 Posts)
Countryside14 Fri 29-Jan-16 11:13:10

Hi,

My dd is 21 months and just recently I've noticed whilst she's playing she'll sometimes line things up. Like little toy characters, crayons, puzzle pieces and sometimes finger foods. She doesn't do it for s long time and doesn't get upset if they're moved. Ive read about schemas and wonder if it's one of those? Maybe the connecting one.

Everything else with her development seems ok. Her talking is coming on. She says lots of words now and joins some of them together. She's very alert in every way. She's affectionate and loving and pretend plays with her teddys and dolls.

Any advice would be good smile

MissLanaBanana Fri 29-Jan-16 11:20:15

Hi my ds does this I don't think it's anything to worry about if there are no other concerns with his development. He loves to line his cars up!

Countryside14 Fri 29-Jan-16 11:32:06

That's good to know. She might just be a little organiser, which she wouldn't get off me 🙈

FreeButtonBee Fri 29-Jan-16 11:33:32

I have two year old twins. My house is covers in lines of cars/Lego/playmobile animals/teddies 🙄

Ferguson Fri 29-Jan-16 19:12:59

Quite a common trait in some children, I think, and you could even encourage it with coloured Duplo bricks or characters, that she can sequence into a specific order.

Making jigsaw puzzles is good for concentration, recognising matching colours, or 'shape-sorter' trays, of gradually increasing complexity.Or straws of various lengths, and put them in order of length, both increasing and decreasing lengths. Or let her play with coins; these she could order by size, as she probably won't recognise 'values' yet, but that will come in due course.

Gobbolino6 Fri 29-Jan-16 19:14:41

All three of my children, who have no SEN, have enjoyed this.

Girlfriend36 Fri 29-Jan-16 19:15:10

This is very normal, my dd did it and I can remember talking to other mums with kids around the same ago who were all saying how their kids liked lining toys up!!

Countryside14 Fri 29-Jan-16 19:23:10

Thank you everyone. Reassuring that it seems very common. She likes to sort lots of things aswell. I'll look at how I can halo and encourage it x

NickyEds Fri 29-Jan-16 22:06:32

My nephew did this a lot, he used to make long lines of little cars. He's now at Uni and absolutely fine. He's very neat and tidy even now!

Countryside14 Fri 29-Jan-16 22:21:18

Her daddy is very neat and tidy. Hopefully she's got it from him and not my messiness x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now