The land of make believe.

(11 Posts)
PannaDoll Wed 27-Jan-16 10:01:44

My daughter is transitioning into an Octonaut. Is there some sort of parental support group for this?

It's driving me nuts. Anytime I address her with her name or a 'sweetheart can you...' the response is rapid: 'I'm not sweetheart, I'm Kwazi'. I'm Captain Barnacle and her little brother is Peso apparently.

Anyone else have maddening make believe scenarios with their toddler?

Mrscog Wed 27-Jan-16 11:21:00

My DS has been doing this since about 3.5, I think it's so sweet! It all depends on what he's into. We've had Octonauts too (I was Kwazi, DH was Tunip ha ha ha) but at the moment it's Thomas. DS is Thomas, I'm apparently Percy, DH is James and DS2 is Emily!

Twinkie1 Wed 27-Jan-16 11:25:20

I love it. I really get into character and join them. It's s lot of fun.

DH doesn't share the madness.

One year when we were packing and in a huge rush and I was heavily pregnant We put 4 year old DD in the bathroom of our hotel, switched the shower in and told her to get in. Queue lots of rushing about, listening to her chat to her imaginary friend Michael though she was washing herself and happy.

Went back in and she was sitting on the loo in a steam filled bathroom whilst Michael showered. He had 'used' all of the shampoo and shower gel too.

I thought it hilarious and v imaginative. DH didn't find it at all funny.

You need s character to be from Octonauts. You could make it into an amazing game.

ginagslovechild Wed 27-Jan-16 11:28:00

Everytime we get in the car and listen to music my DD4 tells me what part I'm singing (think Disney soundtrack).
God forbid I sing the wrong bit!!

PicnicPie Wed 27-Jan-16 11:41:29

Yes! My DD who's 3 loves the Go Jetters and now everyone in the family is addressed by one of their names. Nobody can be Kyan though, that's her! And her gran is Ubercorn grin. It's funny but annoying when I'm trying to get her to do something and have to remember to flipping call her Kyan. And sometimes she's Dora. And sometimes both grrrrr!

PannaDoll Wed 27-Jan-16 11:52:25

I knew I wouldn't be alone ha ha. Michael using all the shower gel is a crack up.

I think I'm doing rather well with Captain Barnacles considering I could be Tunip lol your poor DH!

JustAWeeProblem Wed 27-Jan-16 12:24:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JustAWeeProblem Wed 27-Jan-16 12:26:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Millionprammiles Wed 27-Jan-16 13:42:09

My 3.8 yr old is frequently a dog. Complete with crawling on all fours, barking, sniffing and...licking. Yeuch.
I drew the line at letting her eat her dinner from a bowl on the floor.

PannaDoll Wed 27-Jan-16 13:50:41

Laugh out loud at the licking!

Mine pretends to be a baby too but I try and shit that down fairly quickly as the whiny whingey 'baby' voice she uses triggers my murder instinct 😁

Mynd Thu 28-Jan-16 14:53:11

DD (4) has had imaginary bird friends since she was 1. The birds are still with us, and yesterday we adopted an imaginary pony as well. I love it. I had imaginary horses and dogs as a kid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now