Talk

Advanced search

'it's because I'm stupid'

(7 Posts)
BusyCee Sat 23-Jan-16 16:17:10

5yo son says it when he's being told off. I suspect it because its word we avoid as much as possible (as in 'er, BusyChild, we don't call each other stupid in this house'), and I think he uses it to divert the bollocking. He's quite an emotionally intelligent manipulative kid.

I want to correct it, because he's not stupid. But I don't want to be diverted by him either.

Any thoughts on what I can say?

BYOSnowman Sat 23-Jan-16 16:22:03

I would just ignore and continue with what you were saying as I think you are right. My ds used to say 'I'm the f word' (luckily he didn't actually know what it was!) but it was definitely an attempt to distract!!

And then reinforce that he isn't stupid in non-telling off situations

BusyCee Sat 23-Jan-16 16:24:23

Yeah ok. Thanks, good to hear. just needed to hear I'm in the right tracks. Or a clever sentence that'll do the job.

BYOSnowman Sat 23-Jan-16 16:27:12

I think that as soon as they have realised you are distracted they will throw something else at you (like dd's favourite - I wish I was dead) so I think you are right to ignore

NameAgeLocation Sat 23-Jan-16 16:29:44

My son's the same age, I think I'd probably laugh and say "Don't be ridiculous!" in those circumstances.

BusyCee Sat 23-Jan-16 16:30:13

Ah. Your DD has topped him. I won't mention it or I'll never hear the end..

BYOSnowman Sat 23-Jan-16 16:51:39

You could just say 'no one has said you are stupid, I am just telling you that you were unkind to do x'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now