Talk

Advanced search

How do I get my 8 yr old DD to shut the **** up occasionally?

(6 Posts)
findyourbacon Tue 19-Jan-16 20:29:30

Seriously, she's driving me insane with her constant chatter. She's a lovely bubbly confident girl but sometimes she just doesn't stop talking - it's like she has to say whatever is going on in her head. And it's not just at home - she's now been in trouble at school for talking nonstop and distracting the other kids. I've tried to talk to her about it, I've tried asking her to think about what she says before she says it, and if it's really important but that doesn't seem to work.

And she's got no 'filter' - if I'm telling her little brother off or dealing with some domestic drama, she has to interrupt and tell me her 'really important' thing.

Any suggestions?

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 19-Jan-16 22:26:56

It sounds like she's talking for attention really.

I'd make sure that you set some time apart each evening to have a sit down and a good chat, tell her to save it all up so that you can listen properly and not be distracted by other things.

Hopefully this will make her eager to have your attention to herself, if she breaks just gently remind her that her time is at xxpm so save it till then because otherwise we'll have nothing good to talk about!

The one to one interaction might make her seek that out more at school, which is only really possible during breaks etc.

She should be aiming for direct attention, not the scattergun approach hoping that someone will interact with her.

Kiwiinkits Sat 23-Jan-16 16:21:21

I've been watching this thread waiting for more replies because my five year old DD is exactly the same. I don't think it's attention. She gets loads of attention! In fact, stspect she's been given too much attention by us and our nanny and now she expects adults to listen and engage with her all the time. It's exhausting: I'm too busy with two other kids to respond to her inane babble all day! Someone help!

BusyCee Sat 23-Jan-16 16:29:17

Yep, I'm in. Have 5yo DS who's exactly the same. So place marking...

PolterGoose Sat 23-Jan-16 22:03:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

findyourbacon Sun 24-Jan-16 23:28:41

PolterGoose thanks that's really helpful advice. I try and get her to think about what she needs to say rather than what she wants to say, which does work at the time - but I have to remind her constantly. But I like the idea of rating the importance of what she's saying. I'll definitely try that.

I'm not sure it's an attention thing as we do have a fair bit of time just the two of when I'm dropping her off and picking her up from school, so I try to make that time all about her for that time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now