Talk

Advanced search

Speech sounds - 18 month old

(9 Posts)
Hithere1982 Thu 14-Jan-16 20:05:38

Hello, I just wanted to ask if anyone knows about early speech sounds. My son is 18 months and I've noticed recently that a lot of his words, he substitutes the correct sound for a 'd' sound such as bye sounds more like die, no sounds more like doe. I have read that the 'b' and 'n' sounds are also easy sounds so I wonder why he's using d instead. He has quite a few words say 50 ish but I'm just a bit concerned he's not using the right sounds. I realise it's normal to use the easier sounds to substitute more difficult sounds but should be really be substituting for b and n?

Gattabianca Thu 14-Jan-16 20:24:40

My son did exactly this until he was nearly 3. I never asked for a referral to SLT, (they generally won't see children for speech sounds until they are 3+) and it's resolved itself now.

Yukky Thu 14-Jan-16 20:27:40

Wow! 50 words at 18 mths!

My 18mth says mamma, dadda, bye bye, ello, shhh. Then door/do/doh for everything else.

I'm no speech therapist but I'd say he's just learning and saying any old sounds. It'll all fall into place in time I'm sure.

squizita Thu 14-Jan-16 20:27:48

My 15 month old does this. They do love D sounds. She is in a very good nursery who write a daily learning diary and they describe the D substitution as 'trying to form hard consonants' and that it's normal.

Hithere1982 Thu 14-Jan-16 20:59:36

Thanks all for your comments, I did think it was too early to worry too much and I'll just keep an eye on it. It's reassuring to hear others have done this or are at the same stage and all turned out fine as well, thanks

Rosenwyn1985 Fri 15-Jan-16 12:43:47

It's pretty common for babies to say daddy or some variation first, ahead of mum as the d is far easier to pronounce for them. He sounds pretty ahead linguistically, i wouldn't worry. If when he's three there are issues, get him referred.

Hithere1982 Fri 15-Jan-16 14:18:25

He does have different sounds, like he says Muma very clearly, it's just a lot of the sounds he makes he does substitute with a 'D' sound.

BearFoxBear Fri 15-Jan-16 21:13:18

My 18 month old has about the same amount of words, is very clear, but often substitutes other letters for d - it never occurred to me to be concerned! He says "deh" instead of yes/yeah, and deep for sheep for example. I'm sure it'll resolve itself - as a pp said, it sounds like our boys are pretty advanced in speech terms, so don't worry.

GingerCuddleMonsterThe2nd Mon 18-Jan-16 21:02:15

My 17 month old says "cheese" "daddy" "dog" that's it....No where near 50 words. Everyone keeps saying it will come, I wouldn't be concerned if I were you.

Nobody who knows my DS has even brought up his lack of speech and I always assumed they just babble mostly till about 2

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now