Anyone's bad sleeping toddler just magically 'get it' one night?

(10 Posts)
UnplainJane Wed 13-Jan-16 14:02:30

Just the title really..... Feeling low and crap and too tired and anxious to do anything about the multiple night wakings...... I don't mind one, or two wakings but the amount we have is ridiculous. We don't have any 'bad' habits, the only reward he has for waking is me tucking him back in then walking out. Just wish I knew what the problem was.

Joopy Wed 13-Jan-16 16:09:36

flowers he will get there. How old is he? Mine's 2 and every so often he'll sleep through though generally he wakes at least once.

TweeterandtheMonkeyman Wed 13-Jan-16 16:17:40

Yes, DS didn't sleep through till he was over 2 - I used to get in to bed with him (standard single), then sneak back out if it was early evening, or stay in there if it was past my bedtime. Then he just started sleeping through, it was like something clicked in his head confused

DD (my first) was a different story - she woke up nightly until she was well over 3, and was persuaded to sleep through via the Glo-clock (recommended) plus bribery.

I could never stick to any kind of sleep training - please don't beat yourself up about it. smile

Barbie1 Wed 13-Jan-16 16:27:55

Dd was a nightmare. We tried all sorts. We used to end up taking turns sleeping on a mattress on her floor!

One day we relocated thousands of miles. Put her in a new room.

She slept. All night, and the one after and the one after that! Over a year of sleep training wasted.

Ds1. He was a better sleeper from day one, but when he went through his rough patch we let him sleep where he wanted which was normally at the end of our bed. He soon got fed up of dh knocking him when he rolled over that he soon decided sleeping in his own bed was the best idea grin

Ds 2. 15 months, still wakes up about 4-6 times a night for breast milk. I should try to wean but I'm too tired wink I'm hoping like his sister it will just click for him sooner rather than later

UnplainJane Wed 13-Jan-16 16:47:16

He is just coming up 21 months. I feel bad because family and friends tell me to man up and just ignore him and it's my fault it's still going on. Also that I'm selfish for not leaving him to cry as I'm depriving him of a good nights sleep by responding and encouraging his night waking habit. I just don't know what to do. Heart tells me to respond when he calls, head is telling me that I just need a good sleep now and this could go on for years if I don't do something about it.

Tangoandcreditcards Wed 13-Jan-16 16:54:35

Yes. My DS started sleeping through at 21mo after 2-4 night wakings (at least) prior to that. Confession: I did leave him to moan (but not to cry) on occasion.

It was good timing, that was 2mo ago and he's got a new little brother now.

We didn't really "do" anything different by the way, he just suddenly did it.

blamethecat Wed 13-Jan-16 16:55:36

My son was 2 1/2 at Christmas, for around 2 weeks before he slept through so we decided to finally take the sides of his cot, now is back to waking at least twice a night now. He is just rubbish at sleeping but I know he will get there, no sleep training done at all as I really can't stand him crying and despite being knackered it is still only a short time in the grand scheme of things.

UnplainJane Wed 13-Jan-16 17:16:52

I don't rush in each time, I regularly leave him to moan but go in when he inevitability ramps up, usually 3/4 times a night.

VocationalGoat Wed 13-Jan-16 17:29:32

Oh I feel your plight OP. All three of mine were crap, just dreadful sleepers. But my third takes the absolute cake. 19 months old and just awful. Maybe having been through it with the other two, I am oddly more patient and more robust. But I have days where I simply fall apart and get really down because his lack of sleep has an enormous effect on all of us. I just co sleep in a single bed...every night.

I start out with DH in ours. Then one too many screams later, around 2:30am, DD- who shares a room with The Scream- comes into our bed, snuggles up with dad and I snuggle into her single bed, like Gulliver, with the little one, who sleeps ok-better but not perfectly- once we're in bed.

I have no solution. We've 'adapted' and dealt with it by finding sleep anywhere, anyway we can. With my older ones it got better between 2 and 3 years old. shock

UnplainJane Wed 13-Jan-16 17:55:25

Had to chuckle at The Scream, Goat! Thankfully mine doesn't scream, just shouts Mummy continuously and gets louder and more upset the longer I leave it. I would love to put him in with his older brother but can't risk him being disturbed so much with school the next day, so he has his own room. I refuse to co - sleep as feel it will be a step backwards so I guess I will continue with getting out of bed, then back in, then out again, then in again....... For a while longer! I guess I feel bad about being too weak to just ignore him, as I'm sure it would help. No matter how tired I am, I just can't do it! I'm hoping when he turns 2 in three months time the switch will flick....... Please.....?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now