After school ideas?

(7 Posts)
Toastandmarmite123 Thu 07-Jan-16 19:29:36

Hi - my 4 year old is very shy and has no friends (yet) - so in the meantime, I'm a bit stuck with ideas on how to 'entertain' her after school from 15:15 - 17:00, when I finally go and make dinner and the TV comes on (single parent).
I know it's only 1.75 hours, but any ideas welcomed! - we do role play, but it's getting soooo tedious....just out of interest - how do you pass the time?

Artandco Thu 07-Jan-16 19:35:13

Spend it outside. Are you actually home by 3.15pm? If I'm not at work I take the kids to the park usually ( wood park not play park most the time) for a walk after school, or swimming if it's torrential rain. Sometimes we go to a cafe for a drink.
Dinner isn't until 7pm her so we have 4ish hours to pass

If we go home they usually paint, draw, homework(30 mins every night), reading, board games or play with toys

Artandco Thu 07-Jan-16 19:36:20

I don't really do role play with them! If we had two hours at home and I had nothing to do I would probably read a book and let them get on with the playing alone

CasualJersey Thu 07-Jan-16 19:39:37

Read a book, colouring, craft, painting, jigsaw, wellies in and play outside, just generally playing with Her toys, bake, let her help you make tea, watch something different on TV together so you can chat about it over dinner?

Toastandmarmite123 Thu 07-Jan-16 20:07:21

All great suggestions - thank you - but I should have pointed out:
a) she's not interested in art/crafts
b) she has no siblings
c) doesn't really play alone - still expects me to join in and gets upset if I don't...

She's very demanding! But it's interesting to get an insight into what you all do :-)

Rockchick1984 Sun 10-Jan-16 22:17:41

My DS does dance classes, football etc that all start around 4pm so 3 nights a week it's a mad dash to throw some food down him, get changed and get to group. The other 2 nights I usually set him up with a game and leave him to it - he loves imaginative play so it might be that we get the superheroes out, or Lego, or we do his school reading book and phonics work or whatever.

Mamamoose1 Sun 10-Jan-16 23:16:23

My children do their homework, then are left to do whatever they choose to do. They both have an hour of computer time, which is when I cook dinner and try and entertain my 7 month old daughter, at the same time who is often overtired at this point. We spend half an hour every evening, one to one time with both of them, before bedtime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now