Talk

Advanced search

Pica: 8 year old boy eating his own poo!

(6 Posts)
BoBo325 Mon 04-Jan-16 21:26:22

I have just found my 8 year old boy on the toilet and after some gentle questioning, he admitted he had eaten some of his poo...again. I am at my wits end. I don't really know how best to handle it any more.

He is the eldest child with a 5 year old sister and his father and I are married and together so no obvious emotional upset there. He is developmentally as normal as an 8 year old can be. He can be quite shouty and lose his temper but we are a loud, shouty family. He is active and sporty and also doing ok at school. I am an ex teacher so I spend a lot of time praising him and being positive about him to hopefully counteract the times when I have discipline him (time out etc). He has been in two schools and a nursery and no one has suggested he has any disorder or developmental delay or problem. When I have searched online about this, it just comes up with children on the autistic spectrum, ocd and dogs.

He has been doing it since he was about 3 or 4 although at that age it only happened once or twice as someone would be with him or at least not far away. But from 5 he would go by himself. Each time we caught him we tried to deal with it calmly and explain how dangerous it was. We would then always try to go in with him or hang around outside to discourage him. Then we would think we had got it sorted...and then we found him doing it again a few months later. I haven't been to the Dr because I suppose partially I am mortified that he is doing this and I feel it must be something I have done wrong and partially because I always hope this is the last time. However, he is 8 now and I can't ignore this any longer.

Has anyone ever dealt with this kind of thing before? Any insights or advice would be gratefully received.

ShesGotLionsInHerHeart Mon 04-Jan-16 22:36:24

I've no idea, but watching with interest. My friends DD does the same.

Dorsetmama Wed 06-Jan-16 20:44:38

I think you should fess up with the doctor.

They'll know how best to manage this, plus probably have medications that can cure any infection or parasite that may occur.

TreacleMoon123 Sat 09-Jan-16 23:51:51

Hi,
My daughter had pica. She ate strings - from the dirty mop, clothes, towels etc;
Several tests later it turns out that it was caused by an iron deficiency. She takes an iron supplement now and we have never looked back.

May be worth asking your gp for some routine bloods to be done.

lehcar75 Sun 10-Jan-16 13:21:44

I understand why you might be mortified, but I really think you should get him to a Doctor, and also keep him company in the loo.

Good luck.

Junosmum Mon 11-Jan-16 01:25:52

This is definitely a gp issue. It's likely a deficiency, which is easily tested for or ruled out.

Though it sounds awful such behaviour is reasonably common in children.

I'm assuming he isn't incontinent/ doesn't 'mess' with his faeces unless on the loo?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now