Talk

Advanced search

Baby has pointy ears!

(11 Posts)
scarednoob Sat 02-Jan-16 12:49:39

My gorgeous DD has pointy little ears! It's purely cosmetic, and I think they look quite cute, but I've been watching them to see if they round out as I am concerned that she might get teased at school when she's older. OH is adamant nobody will notice.

Sure enough, the first thing my 6 year old niece said when we arrived at Christmas was, "The baby has elf ears! She's an elf!" My niece meant it as a nice thing, but other kids might not be so kind.

Did anyone's baby have this and did they grow out of it (she's now almost 4 months) or should I take her to the dr to see if she needs anything?

Thank you!

stabbybitch Sat 02-Jan-16 13:04:56

My DS2 had 'elf ears'. They started to uncurl at about 6 months. At 14months ones still slightly pointy. Very cute tho!

DS1 had one ear really bigger than the other but by 1 they had evened out.

JE1234 Sat 02-Jan-16 13:06:55

I still have an elf ear as an adult. I had two when born. Nobody has ever said anything about if other than my mum, unless I point it out. I have long hair but used to wear hairbands in primary so people would have seen it. It's not bullying fodder in my experience.

Idefix Sat 02-Jan-16 13:19:22

I have elf ears grin

At the moment the lack of hair on your baby will make it more obvious to others such dniece. I don't think this will be a problem as she gets older.

Fwiw whenever anyone notices my ears still happens on a regular basis the responses are always of the 'wow! How cool are your ears' not the 'are you related to Spock?'.

TheCrowFromBelow Sat 02-Jan-16 13:22:03

DS1 had hairy elf ears.
I've just checked and they are round and smooth now, he is 11

TPel Sat 02-Jan-16 13:30:20

She must be very cute. And Vulcan.

Anyone who says something unpleasant is a twat.

Elemental Sat 02-Jan-16 13:55:32

I've got one elf ear - it's called Stahl's Ear (also called Spock Ear or Vulcam Ear, which is quite cool). You can tell if your baby has it if they have an extra bar of cartilidge across the top of the ear which forces the ear shape into a more pointed shape.

If it is that, then it won't go away, but if the bar isn't there then it could just be a temporary thing.

No one ever mentioned it to me, ever. I only found out exactly what it is quite recently and apparently it's very rare, especially in Caucasians. I used to be very self conscious about it as a kid but like it now!

Elemental Sat 02-Jan-16 13:56:27

Vulcan! Actually the medical term.

QOD Sat 02-Jan-16 14:05:01

I have a feel able point on my ear, you can absolutely feel a pixie point. But it's only visible on my inner ears.
I liked it as my mum said to anyone, adult or child, that commented that children who are part pixie gave special ears
it's got way less noticeable now I have a big fathead and flabby lobes grin

Pooseyfrumpture Sat 02-Jan-16 14:09:21

Well that Legolas gets around wink

DD had incredibly hairy ears as a baby. Like, two inch long black hairs that I could style brush. All gone now.

scarednoob Sat 02-Jan-16 15:32:33

Thanks ladies, I feel much better now. Maybe it's only me that would ever worry about it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now