Now 16 month old won't drink milk before bed....how much does yours drink?

(6 Posts)
Heatherbell1978 Fri 01-Jan-16 18:23:46

DS1 has taken roughly 7oz of milk morning and night (ie about 14oz total) for a while now, maybe since a year old. He tends to only drink milk if it's warmed and in a bottle so during the day he just drinks water in a sippy cup.

He has milk in his weetabix and has a yoghurt or two a day so not too worried about dairy amount but we've just moved his night time bottle to before bath because we were doing it right before bed which obviously isn't great from a teeth cleaning perspective so now it's bottle downstairs, bath, teeth clean (which he hates, we gave to pin him down almost), then bed.

But he just isn't interested in his bottle now, he's quite an active little boy and never sits still so bottle time is easier when he's sleepy post waking or just before bed. So now he's taking about 8oz milk during the day which doesn't seem enough? I could try and add more during the day but he'd rather drink water......

dementedpixie Fri 01-Jan-16 18:26:44

300mls (approx 10oz) is recommended from 1 year. It doesn't all have to be in drink form so yoghurt, cheese, milk in cereal all counts towards it too

dementedpixie Fri 01-Jan-16 18:27:18

Would he take it from a cup instead maybe

omama Sun 03-Jan-16 18:57:46

We dropped my ds (5) morning bottle at about 15 months & bedtime one at about 18 months. Then he just had a snack & drink of water before brushing his teeth as he would never drink milk from a cup. Intend to do the same with dd (13 months).

HalfStar Sun 03-Jan-16 19:08:04

Dd aged 14months has a long breastfeed in the morning, about 3oz of cows milk in afternoon, and a very short breastfeed before bed. She is just not interested in the evening one now.
It doesn't seem like much milk but I don't think it's anything to worry about, she would eat her own body weight in cheese.

Rosenwyn1985 Sun 03-Jan-16 20:07:22

My son went off milk at about 14 months old. He hates it. He'll have it in weetabix and occasionally as a milkshake or hot chocolate but that's it. He's now 3 and still won't drink it. I don't like it either so I get where he's coming from. I just ensure he gets his dairy elsewhere. He loves cheese and yoghurt so it's not really an issue. Don't panic too much .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now