Talk

Advanced search

demanding screaming two year old

(9 Posts)
MtnBikeChick Fri 01-Jan-16 17:37:39

It feels strange to be writing this as I already have a 5 year old. However DS2 is a different ballgame to DS1. He is 26 months but not really talking (he can communicate a bit tho). He is very shouty and screachy and I think DH and I have fallen into the trap of pandering to his behaviour without realising. The most frustrating thing he does is he decides he wants one of us to do something, eg push the buggy, put him in car seat, pass him his water at the dining table . If we don't comply he screeches so loudly it is embarrassing and painful! The kind of screaming you want to stop immediately! As a result DH and I are doing crazy things like saying "you want dada to do it not mama?" And then complying! Not sure how it came to this but if we don't meet his demands the decibels are ear splitting.... How do we deal with this behaviour? Help!!! shock

NooNooMummy Fri 01-Jan-16 17:42:51

I'm in a similar boat!! So, will be waiting for advice here too. grin this is just the terrible twos, isn't it?

MtnBikeChick Fri 01-Jan-16 23:34:39

Yes, it was definitely not this bad with my son!

MingZillas Sat 02-Jan-16 14:14:20

I'm in the same boat as well. Makes me anxious as I'm always waiting for the next scream.

dodobookends Sat 02-Jan-16 14:27:13

Perhaps the words "Stop that noise!!" and you both refusing to respond to him making a racket to tell you what he wants.

You both have to be totally consistent and never give in to screeching, ever. Whenever he yells at you, demanding you do something, get into the habit of point-blank refusing to do what he wants. You are currently enabling him and reinforcing the behaviour, so do not co-operate any more. He'll get the message and will learn that it gets him nowhere, and he will stop, I promise!

NickyEds Sat 02-Jan-16 14:44:27

Watching with interest. My just-turned two year old doesn't really talk yet either and will screech to "request" things he wants. Drives. Me. Nuts. At the moment we're meeting screaming with complete ignorance- no response whatsoever but it doesn't seem to be helping. It's particularly annoying when he wakes 5.5 month old dd. I'm really hoping his speech improves soon and that it will help.

BasinHaircut Sun 03-Jan-16 15:32:24

I just came on here to post about my 2yo and it's comforting I see that there are already quite a few threads about 2yolds and their behaviour.

I've just had a hideous day out. It's not that DS is doing anything particularly wrong, he is just very strong willed and it makes doing anything or going anywhere so horrible and exhausting that basically I don't think I can be bothered any more.

I think I'll wait till he is 3! grin Please tell me they get past this stage pretty quickly!!

CBSeb0802 Mon 04-Jan-16 17:34:36

Hi, i just started a new thread. Shouldnt have bothered as just found this thread. Im 39 weeks +3 days pregnant and have a toddler who turns 2 next month. His behaviour has become really challenging. He doesnt listen to me or hubby and is good as gold for his grand parents. I feel like im always saying "No" because he is always doimg something silly like climbing on thw kitchen table. Its such hard work. He loves going out but bwing this hevey now makes that really hard. Im worried I wont cope when the baby arrives and hubby returns to work. Ugh i dont know what to do. Xxx

NickyEds Mon 04-Jan-16 20:25:10

CBS you poor thing! Nothing is harder work than being 9 months pregnant with a toddler. Ds was 19 months when dd was born and having a new born with a toddler was much easier than being pregnant with one. Try and keep your ds' routine as "normal" as you can. Do as much as you can to relax now- surrender to C-Beebies! If he's as good as gold for his GPs then take up any offers of baby sitting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now