house rules

(3 Posts)
Samantha2014 Fri 01-Jan-16 10:44:02

Hi everyone

Been thinking new year, new rules in our house

I have a 6 years old and nearly 2 year old and was thinking of setting some house rules.
Anyone got any ideas?
Not done this before X

NorksAreMessy Sat 02-Jan-16 08:10:55

We discovered that the fewer the rules, the easier and calmer life was. So if you are going to make hard and fast rules, make just a few REALLY good ones that you are happy to reinforce every single time.

We only had one. It was 'Be kind'

That encompassed tidying up (kind to me), sharing (kind to each other), being gentle with the dogs etc. if you think about what you want to achieve, so much of it fits in this category.
I am married to the worlds kindest man and I try to live this way myself, to model behaviour as well as having it as a rule.

Some things are obviously outside this but still necessary (healthy food, teeth cleaning) and I didn't see those as rules, so much as 'that's just the way we do things'

Good luck

insan1tyscartching Sat 02-Jan-16 08:50:12

We had two "No hitting" and "Use kind words" and they seemed to be enough. Youngest dd had her own rule that she came up with that she thought was the best one and that was "Always obey signs and Mummy" grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now