Talk

Advanced search

1yr old hitting and scratching

(7 Posts)
Bellyrub1980 Thu 31-Dec-15 07:56:30

My 13 mo daughter has started hitting and scratching people in the face, in anger.

I've tried telling her off but she laughs in my face!

Is there a way of disciplining a 1 year old or is she too young to understand?

Should I just ignore and distract?

have I given birth to a psychopath?

YokoUhOh Thu 31-Dec-15 08:09:12

Totally normal - ignore the hitting/scratching and find opportunities to praise her when she gets it right. She'll soon find out its an ineffective way of getting attention smile

Flamingo1980 Thu 31-Dec-15 08:11:17

You must nip this in the bud as soon as possible. When she hurts you, you must yelp, show her you are sad (even fake cry) and then put her down immediately and ignore her for a minute. If you do this consistently she will learn that inflicting pain results in a negative reaction which is a really important thing to teach children obviously.
This works, I did it a few times with my daughter and she has never hurt me since.

Bellyrub1980 Thu 31-Dec-15 08:13:14

Thank you! Its a relief to read that.

Is that the case for all other 'naughty' behaviour?

SevenSeconds Thu 31-Dec-15 08:13:47

Try saying NO, then putting her down as soon as she does it. So she starts associating it with less attention, not more. Don't worry, it's normal and she's not a psychopath! My DS2 started hitting around 14 months - he's now a gentle and relatively well behaved 6yo.

SevenSeconds Thu 31-Dec-15 08:18:30

Unfortunately this phase lasted a lot longer with my DS than with Flamingo's DD. It works eventually though if you persevere!

Bellyrub1980 Thu 31-Dec-15 14:53:58

Ok, lovely thank you. I shall start that today!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now