Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

OTT behaviour when friends come to play -6 year old boy

(5 Posts)
madeitagain Wed 30-Dec-15 16:41:08

My son loves having friends to play. He is excited and as he is an only child it is often easier for both of us.He is very high energy, impulsive and vocal generally but also warm and sensitive. When a friend arrives he becomes ultra loud, quite vulnerable and continuously does silly, slightly dangerous things to impress his friend. I have told him this is unnecessary and that children like him just as he is. He is rude to me and sometimes uses silly babyish language. He is quite a clever boy and is articulate. Anybody have any helpful ideas on helping him with this.

Wolfiefan Wed 30-Dec-15 16:45:43

You need to help him.
If he misbehaves he gets a consequence. That could be that the friend has to leave. What do you do when he's rude to you?

madeitagain Wed 30-Dec-15 16:52:09

He has a star chart and he has a star removed. I talk to him (usually after his friend has gone about how what he has said to me hurts my feelings) and his friends like to play with someone who is polite to adults.

DoomGloomAndKaboom Wed 30-Dec-15 17:05:14

I think I would hold off the friends coming over to play thing, until he's a bit older. Sending the friend home also punishes the friend. If the visiting child is in any way at risk of getting hurt or (more likely) feeling unsure and awkward, or isn't having a good time because of ds's behaviour, then it's time to call a halt to the playdates until he's old enough to handle them.

Sorry this sounds bossy - it is honestly said with experience, not criticism. I have more experience with an over-excitable child than I need and tbh, scaling back until they've grown up a bit was the way forward for us.

madeitagain Wed 30-Dec-15 18:20:05

Thanks actually they (his friends) normally have a good time and enjoy coming. He is popular and friendly at school. What I really think will help is helping him feel more secure and able to cope in these situations. That's really what I need a bit of help with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now