Talk

Advanced search

14mo and major sleep issues

(7 Posts)
PennyHasNoSurname Wed 30-Dec-15 07:45:27

Am at the end of my rope.

DS is 14mo and up til about 1yo was a reasonable sleeper. Any issues were short lived (usually around developmental leaps), but for the past two months every night has gone as follows:-

Bath bottle bed after supper at about 6.30. We take him to bed on first yawn/eye rub. Goes down himself with cot mobile on, he holds a muslin square as a sort of comforter, lights off. For the next hour he dozes, wakes, stands in his cot and cries, we go in and lie him down etc. Eventually goes over.

Then around 11pm the whole thing starts again - waking, crying, standing in cot, we lay him down, shhh and bum pat, repeat, repeat eventually he goes over.

Then around 3am the whole. Fucking. Thing starts again.

He is in with us as the only other bedroom has dd (4 and an amazing sleeper) in it - we dont go to bed at 11 we either go before or when he becomes unsettled, so us going into the room isnt the issue.

He cries LOUD when he does wake. A bottle doesnt send him back over. Shhhh bum pat worked reasonably well (still took an hour every wake), but even that has stopped.

What the hell do I do next that doesnt involve selling him the the highest bidder?

Pidapie Thu 31-Dec-15 10:34:22

My little one has had periods of roughly 6 weeks like that. They pass. Otherwise you could try to fit the little one in with you in bed? Could be he needs more cuddles?

0phelia Thu 31-Dec-15 11:13:22

My 12mo has suddenly gone from a great 10-12 hour through sleeper into a refusing to fall asleep-waking every 3-4 hours in the night sleeper.

In desperation I found the quickest way to get him sleeping was bringing him into my bed, cuddling up then he'd fall asleep.

I'd then have to carry him without waking into his own room to tuck him in.

I'm just saying this is what I have done, and a couple of times he's woken up again screaming and I've ended up co-sleeping all night. Not exactly recommended.

I just hope it passes! Hang in there.

Eminado Thu 31-Dec-15 11:16:52

I think my DD did this around the same age. If i remember correctly her molars were rumbling and troubling her and she made a big leap in communication and then things settled down again.

HisBowtieIsReallyACamera Thu 31-Dec-15 12:18:38

Try co-sleeping?
Or put great sleeping DD in with you and trouble maker in his own room!

PennyHasNoSurname Thu 31-Dec-15 20:35:06

Thanks for all the responses.

Im hesitant to start cosleeping - neither of our kids have ever bedshared and its something which I assume that if I start, eventually we will then need to train him.out of. I work random shifts so its not as if we can all go to bed the samr time.

CPtart Thu 31-Dec-15 20:51:08

Not much advice as mine were both good sleepers and I was harsh, but no way would I start co-sleeping or giving bottles. A big backward step IMO.
Encourage reliance on 'cuddlies', teddies and blankets etc, and maybe gradually increase the amount of time between going in. Also, never ever speaking to him or putting lights on. I also gave mine 'supper' of porridge or similar at bedtime.
Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now