Talk

Advanced search

cows milk allergy? intoletance?

(7 Posts)
bebo100 Fri 25-Dec-15 14:07:33

So we tried our 5 1/2 month old with food last night for the first time.

Porridge, so oat flour, cows milk and a little sugar.

He wolfed it down, but 3 hours later just kept waking all night. Would hug and cuddle to sleep, but 30 minutes later something was disturbing him (he's not a great sleeper anyway, but not usually that bad). Lots of spit up last night and this morning.

Could it be the cows milk?

He's mostly breast fed, but has had the occasional bottle of formula before. So wouldn't that affect him too if it was?

Anyone with babies with cows milk intolerances etc out there?

AimUnder Fri 25-Dec-15 14:10:00

Did you see any skin reaction? Red patches or tiny dots?

anotherdayanothersquabble Fri 25-Dec-15 14:21:43

It could be just getting used to having food. 5.5 months is early and unusual first foods. Vegetables or fruit might be better. Grains could be difficult to digest, I would avoid sugar and stick to breastmilk / formula for a while longer.

Does your baby have reflux, eczema, is he particularly mucousy, how are his bowels normally? Was he born by C-section? Has he had antibiotics? Is there any eczema / asthma / allergies / autoimmune issues in your family?

If the answer to these questions is no, I would watch out for changes, perhaps try vegetables first but not worry too much.

dementedpixie Fri 25-Dec-15 14:28:48

Strange first food and not the best time of day to give it either. If you give foods then try during the day so you can see any reactions. Cows milk not recommended in foods until 6 months. No need to add sugar to anything either.

Try simple single fruits/veg to start with and only in small portions

bebo100 Fri 25-Dec-15 15:47:02

5 1/2 months isn't that early??? Guidelines are 6 months at the moment but are changing back to 4 to 6 months so I don't think it's that.

The food was a jar (we're away for Christmas until mid Jan) and did say from 4 to 6 months on the label.

I was planning to do baby lead weaning which we did with DS1 (instigated by him grabbing a Philly bagel from my hand at 5 1/2 months), so didn't think the food choice was that strange.

But yes, planning to try him on some mashed veg tonight so will see how he goes with that. Different babies and all maybe it was too much too soon

bebo100 Fri 25-Dec-15 15:56:22

And no other reactions. Normally a healthy baby, good motor skills, and has reached all the usual milestones on time or early (he was over a week late).

Maybe just him. DS1 would happily eat anything and everything, but I guess that doesn't mean DS2 can/will.

dementedpixie Fri 25-Dec-15 17:31:43

I would avoid jars with added sugar as that can encourage a sweet tooth. Maybe just try something simpler first

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now