Talk

Advanced search

Help needed with 17 months old eating

(6 Posts)
Eminybob Tue 15-Dec-15 18:03:17

I've posted about DS's eating before but it's getting worse and I don't know how I can help him.

He eats very little before throwing a tantrum and chucking his food all over the floor.

I've tried letting him feed himself with hands, with forks and spoons, I've tried feeding him myself. Tried sitting with him, ignoring him. None of it works.

There are a few things he will eat, pasta, potatoes, sausages, shepherds pie but everything else is a battle. He'll have a bit, seems to be enjoying then just throws it everywhere. Once he's started doing that he won't even try anything else.

Stuff he used to like, like sweet potato and salmon, he was the same with tonight.

He won't touch veg. He will eat fruit but not as much as he used to.

I'm getting so frustrated. But the crazy thing is apparently at nursery he eats everything! What am I doing wrong?

His behaviour in general is worrying me too, he's whiney and trantrumming a lot whereas he used to be so happy and sweet natured.

Also not sure if it's linked but I'm a bit concerned about his speech development. He doesn't seem to have any words, although he did have some from about 12 months they have disappeared completely.

Sorry this is so long I'm just really worried about him, feel like I'm doing something wrong and feel like a crap mum at the moment.

Eminybob Tue 15-Dec-15 18:36:18

Bump

NeedsAMousekatool Tue 15-Dec-15 18:41:24

I'll try to write a longer response but my DD is the same age as your DS (we've actually talked before when I was under a different username) and all of this sounds totally normal, don't beat yourself up flowers

Eminybob Tue 15-Dec-15 19:54:59

I try to tell myself that. It's just bloody hard work isn't it?

NeedsAMousekatool Tue 15-Dec-15 20:55:33

Oh completely. I don't know if you remember my bottle refusing DD from this time last year? And she's still a terrible sleeper. But it's normal at this age for them to refuse food - it's one of the few things they have control over. If he's eating well at nursery he's probably not that hungry by dinner time and is probably tired out after a busy day.

I think this is a big age for tantrums as well, as they're so close to getting words but so far away, and they're discovering all the things in the world but aren't allowed. DD had the absolute screaming habdabs the other day because I tried to put her in her high chair.

FusionChefGeoff Tue 15-Dec-15 21:16:03

We've got the same here at 14 months - just started serious tantrums and launching most food on the floor.

I just ignore it. Offer it back to her once then leave it the 2nd time it lands on the floor. Then offer fruit or yoghurt or cake

She'll eat if she's hungry and I don't want to go down the only serving 3 types of meal route. We all eat the same food 90% of the time so she'll just get used to it! She's still growing and developing so I'm not worried.

You can't change how she behaves - she's too young - but you can change how you feel / react to it.

It doesn't matter so try to relax around meals and don't create that battle ground - food is fuel don't let it be more than that. So long as she is growing and healthy - you're doing fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now