Talk

Advanced search

Siblings height difference

(29 Posts)
Haahooooo Mon 14-Dec-15 08:34:08

Not the biggest worry in the world but I have a DD who is 3 and a DS who is 1.5. DD is little for her age (25th centile), and DS very tall (99th centile).

Going by their growth curves DS will be taller than DD soon after he turns 2.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of this. The DC have a really lovely relationship with DD being very caring with DS (most of the time), and I'm worried that him being taller will adversely affect that. On the plus side, though, he is a gentle boy who adores his sister.

Any experiences welcome!

TheGreenNinja Mon 14-Dec-15 08:38:09

I'm a bit confused as to what you are worrying about? I'm taller than my older sibling, and have been since we were 2/3ish. The only difference it's made (when we were older) is that people would assume I was older. Our relationship is fine, it hasn't adversely affected it. My own middle child is very tall too, and is bigger than the oldest. It's really not anything of an issue.

TheDowagerCuntess Mon 14-Dec-15 08:41:33

I'm not sure why you're worrying, either. The only reason either of them could possibly have an issue with it, is if you turn it into some kind of big deal. Otherwise, there's simply nothing to get worked up about - their heights are their heights.

HeadDreamer Mon 14-Dec-15 08:46:55

I'm not sure why either. My younger brother and me are only 18mo apart. I'm sure he was either the same height or taller than me most of my childhood. As most boys are taller than girls. I actually can't remember whether he's taller or not. So it obviously never made an impact on me.

Haahooooo Mon 14-Dec-15 08:47:29

Oh good yes I'm probably worrying for no reason!

I suppose the worry (which I admit may be silly) is around the fact that DD likes being the eldest and 'helping look after DS', and as they're still so young being taller is kind of wrapped up with that in her mind (perhaps).

But good to hear it is most probably a non issue!

HeadDreamer Mon 14-Dec-15 08:58:16

Don't worry. I always know I'm older. However, I don't remember looking after my brother. I think the small age gap means will mean that's inevitable. But I thought that's one of the benefits of a small age gap? That they'll be interested in very similar things?

Mine are 3.5yo apart and it will definitely take a long time for them to catch up to be similar in age/ability. DD1 is 4yo and DD2 is 1yo. DD1 can dress and comb her sisters her, get her breakfast etc. And even push the pushchair, very hard though.

CarbeDiem Mon 14-Dec-15 09:10:01

My Ds 1 and 3 both got my height gene and my Ds3 got mostly his dads shorter ones mixed with a touch of mine.
Ds3 was taller than ds2 at about 9yrs old - he did try to use the height thing - as in I'm bigger than you so ....... but ds2 would hit back with - so! I'm older than you so it doesn't matter ......
All kids stuff really and long forgotten about.
As adults Ds2 is a tad taller than Ds3 but ds3 isn't yet finished growing so he will pass him again smile
Honestly don't worry, it all works just fine.

LumelaMme Mon 14-Dec-15 09:19:23

Don't worry about it. My older two were being mistaken for twins by the time they were about 4.5 and 2.5, as DC2 was so tall. No issues (not with that, anyway!)

SocksRock Mon 14-Dec-15 09:23:32

A friend of mine has boy/girl twins. They are 16 and there is a 14" height difference!

I'm sure your DD will always be aware she is older and mercilessly use it to her advantage....

MrsJayy Mon 14-Dec-15 09:25:23

Are you maybe worrying because he is a boy and their relationship will change she might get intimidated by his size ? Its really nothing to worry about they grow in spurts and starts at that age but she will always be the big sister. My youngest is taller than my eldest didnt happen till they were older (5yr between them) its fine honestly you are getting in a tizz about nothing

Maddaddam Mon 14-Dec-15 09:28:37

Mine were like this. dd1 is 18 months older,and was always short. Everyone else in our family is tallish.
dd2 overtook her when they were aged 5/6.

dd1 cried when that happened.People usually think dd2 is older.

But then dd1 got used to it- after all you can't change this.

And suddenly now at 15 they are the same size.

LittleCandle Mon 14-Dec-15 09:32:49

DD2 is 8 1/2 inches taller than DD1 and has been taller than her since DD2 was about 10. There is 4 years between them. DD2 is taller than both me and XH. His father was very tall and his mother very small - XH was several inches shorter than his younger brother. It won't bother you DC at all.

PatriciaHolm Mon 14-Dec-15 09:32:50

Mine are 18 months apart, DD elder, now 11 and 9.5 and I've found they go through phases when they are pretty much the same in height and then DD will have a spurt! Currently she's about 4-5 cm taller. They did get mistaken for twins when younger but she just found it funny, and is resigned to the fact that by the time he's about 12 he will be taller - he'll be a six footer judging by all the males in his genetics. She is looking forward to being taller than me, which at this rate will only take another couple of years!

Haahooooo Mon 14-Dec-15 11:41:11

Thanks everyone. I will stop worrying with immediate effect smile

MrsJayy Mon 14-Dec-15 12:23:10

Saying that dd2 looks older in the face than her sister that kinda pisses her off grin

Helenluvsrob Mon 14-Dec-15 12:26:34

Long term view. I have 2 girls 5 foot tall and DS 6 foot plus.

It's a non problem, though a source of much " banter" . However eldest always ID for alcohol and DS (younger) never! annoyed her when he was drinking at 16/17 without ID!

Danglyweed Mon 14-Dec-15 12:30:41

My 7 and 5 year old dd's are the same height, it really annoys the oldest one. We're often asked if they are twins as we have a younger pair

Danglyweed Mon 14-Dec-15 12:32:14

On the other hand, both my older and younger brothers are over 6 foot, whereas im only 5"5... cant say its ever bothered me

Redcrayons Mon 14-Dec-15 12:38:22

I have twins and there's a 4 inch height difference, don't think either are bothered by it.
You can't do much about it so don't waste your energy on it.

BertPuttocks Mon 14-Dec-15 12:49:20

My 9yr-old has always been one of the smallest in her class. My 5yr-old is one of the tallest in her Reception class and looks older too.

They were recently asked if they were twins. Thankfully dd1 thought it was very funny. Dd2 was not impressed. grin

BarbarianMum Mon 14-Dec-15 21:56:07

My ds' are 2 years apart in age and 3cm in height. They are taken for twins all the time. It does slightly peeve ds1 but, as we remind him, he'll always be older.

Clutterbugsmum Mon 14-Dec-15 22:58:19

Like Barbarianmum's children my dd2 (8yrs) and DS (6yrs) are about the same size.

Where as dd1 (11yrs) is taller then me, and needs 14/15 or 15/16 yr clothes.

DD1 and Ds will be tall like DH side of the family where as DD2 has more my genes and will be much smaller then the other two.

Witchend Tue 15-Dec-15 14:42:35

My girls are 3 years apart and have been nearly the same height for about 5 years. I expect dd2 will overtake at some point, but they don't like being asked if they're twins.

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies Tue 15-Dec-15 14:46:16

DD2 (12) has been taller than DS(13) for some time. It wouldn't matter if they weren't asked all the time if they were twins. When it's pointed out that DS is older, he is often asked if he knows that his little sister is taller than him. Which is helpful hmm.

Notso Tue 15-Dec-15 14:51:29

DS1's friend has a sister who is 14 months younger and more than a head and shoulders taller than him.
Aside from a major sulk when his sister could go on theme park rides he couldn't they seem to cope fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now