Talk

Advanced search

Need help with 1 year olds tantrums!

(11 Posts)
Steph2468 Sun 13-Dec-15 18:38:38

My lb is 14months and I'm not over exaggerating when I say this but his temper is thru the roof! He will throw a fit at least 10times a day over silly things, can't have my phone, can't stick his finger in the socket, can't sit in puddles. He's even had a tantrum because he wanted up on the sofa so I lifted him up but then he decided he didn't want up so he went off on one!! I really need help & advice on how to deal with this?! If he goes with my mum, my sister or my partners mum they say he has been great, no tantrums, then soon as I walk in he starts screaming & lying on the floor kicking! Then they say 'that's the first he's done this all day' makes me feel like he's doing it on my for a reason! .. Anybody else been in this 'stage' before?!

Steph2468 Mon 14-Dec-15 07:30:06

Anybody?

bittapitta Mon 14-Dec-15 07:34:44

Distract with something else immediately. Explain why you are taking him away don't just do it without explanation.

Also he is more likely to tantrum with the person he is most securely attached to (he's comfortable to be emotional with you) so accept that for what it means.

GenevaMaybe Mon 14-Dec-15 07:36:31

I have a 14 month old too so I sympathise. A lot.
How's he eating & sleeping?

Steph2468 Mon 14-Dec-15 07:47:09

I do tell him why he can't do things or why I'm saying no. I'm even trying to teach him baby sign just so he can communicate more with me. He sleeps fine, goes down 7.30 & up at 6.30 & he'll have a 1-2hour nap during the day as for his eating that's good too, typical boy & shovels anything into his mouth. I'm just at a loss with how to deal with his 'episodes' it's 7:45am & he has spent more than half his morning screaming & loosing his temper.

bebo100 Mon 14-Dec-15 07:49:39

Mines now 2 1/2, but I remember this phase well (we still get a few tantrums), it's perfectly normal.
Hungry and tiredness can be a factor, so try to avoid those. Distraction often works - CBeebies can stop a major tantrum mid flow I've found. Other than that just stay calm. I guess a lot of it is frustration that they can't say and do as much as they want too.

GenevaMaybe Mon 14-Dec-15 08:03:10

I would try an earlier bedtime say 6.45 and more like 2-hr nap if you can. It might help with the screaming, sounds like over tiredness.

Jw35 Mon 14-Dec-15 08:08:42

Your examples are things I would prevent eg: put my phone away, socket covers, all in one raincoat. I'm sure there's plenty I couldn't prevent but my point is, are you saying no too often? Can you distract rather than say no or allow some of these things? The world is a frustrating place to a toddler.

Steph2468 Mon 14-Dec-15 08:27:50

If I put him to bed at 6:45 he'll be up from about 5am! Don't think I could cope with that lol I don't have my phone out often when he's playing around but it's the odd time it is lyin about & he grabs it. I do try & prevent a good lot of the stuff & have toys out for him to play with. Suppose I'll just have to try harder to prevent the tantrums

GenevaMaybe Mon 14-Dec-15 13:54:37

You'd be surprised. Usually if you put them to bed earlier they continue waking up at their normal time, just rested

winchester1 Tue 15-Dec-15 12:22:17

With things like trying to get up to the sofa is it becasue he wants to do it himself and not be helped, that caused a lot of tantrums at that age for my LO. How is he if you let him play alone?

Around that age I started letting mine have some 'responibility' like getting the dogs empty bowl, taking his plastic plate to the table etc so he could join in with the adults. We also taught him wher ehe could find some food and water during the day with a snack (fruit, rice cakes etc) and a cup of water always in the same place which helped as well.

I've an 11 month old now so about to start all this again shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now