Talk

Advanced search

gripe water

(12 Posts)
Ladypug Thu 10-Dec-15 23:17:32

Hi all, looking for experience of using gripe water? Got a 5 week old collicy daughter who has really bad trapped wind (bum end not burps) and looking to relieve pain. We are using colief and did see some improvement but still quite bad. I wondered if we could use gripe water alongside it. Did gripe water work for anyone else?

FattySantaRobin Thu 10-Dec-15 23:19:27

I never used it alongside colief, but I did use gripe water. Colief did nothing for any of my 3, but gripe water worked.

futureme Thu 10-Dec-15 23:21:02

Our midwife said it didn't work anymore. She said our parents would all recommend it and yes it USED to work..... until they decided alcohol was abad thing to give babies and took it out of the mix!

FattySantaRobin Thu 10-Dec-15 23:24:08

Well it certainly still worked for mine. I don't know why and I don't care to be honest. It worked. grin
The alcohol was more likely to make than sleepy than burp though.

futureme Thu 10-Dec-15 23:25:07

I think (just from the little I've read) its a mix of feeling comfort from the parent, parent believing it will work and so less stressed, and having something to eat/drink!

futureme Thu 10-Dec-15 23:25:22

They took the sugar out too!

FattySantaRobin Thu 10-Dec-15 23:26:58

Ah, that makes sense. And plus the extra winding after giving gripe water could have shifted the wind without the gripe water I suppose.

FattySantaRobin Thu 10-Dec-15 23:27:25

They take all the good stuff out. Poor babies grin

futureme Thu 10-Dec-15 23:28:19

That would make sense too!

futureme Thu 10-Dec-15 23:29:14

Arg too many !!!! from me. It must be past my bedtime.

I know - can you imagine purposely giving babies sugar and alcohol now? Hope everyone's babies settle ok...

FattySantaRobin Thu 10-Dec-15 23:31:03

Imagine the horror grin
OP I think we are saying it might work so worth a shot grin

Ladypug Thu 10-Dec-15 23:31:58

Might work is good enough for me!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now