Talk

Advanced search

Suspected Autism What should I do?

(7 Posts)
LyndiaIreen Thu 10-Dec-15 19:13:15

What should I do? There are lots of therapies. I was told the son rise programme was great - too much information

Sirzy Thu 10-Dec-15 19:14:48

How old is he? Who has said they suspect autism?

PhilPhilConnors Thu 10-Dec-15 19:16:25

If it's suspected I think the first move is to start the ball rolling for a referral to a developmental paed, through a GP.
It's important to have a diagnosis first as I think a few developmental conditions have some similarities to ASD so the correct diagnosis means you can then look for the right therapies.

LyndiaIreen Thu 10-Dec-15 19:21:09

He is 5 and in school. I have been to the GP and they said that I have to wait a few months. He is talking but not sociable and he becomes very frustrated and shows some difficult behaviours at times. Not sure if I should start something privately?

Sirzy Thu 10-Dec-15 19:26:09

Wait a few months for what?

Have the school raised any concerns? The Senco/school nurse should be able to arrange a referral to a developmental pead

IsItMeOr Thu 10-Dec-15 19:28:55

Hi Lyndia. I know it's a worrying time when you're waiting for a diagnosis.

Honestly, I would pursue a full assessment and diagnosis and then talk to the diagnosing professionals about what next.

Even if you do get an autism diagnosis, it is a huge spectrum, so the effective interventions will vary hugely too.

If you do get an autism diagnosis for your child, there is a course called Early Birds, designed by the National Autistic Society, which you may be able to get a place on in your local area. Where we are, the cost for the 8 week programme with 2 home visits is £50.

If you have some specific issues where you want to help your DC in advance of a diagnosis, you can try posting on the special needs topic for advice - there are lots of parents who have seen most things before.

IsItMeOr Thu 10-Dec-15 19:30:17

X-posted.

Has he been referred by the GP for an assessment? That is what you need. The waiting time around here is typically a year, so you need to get the ball rolling asap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now