Talk

Advanced search

Help!

(13 Posts)
Luckystar1 Wed 09-Dec-15 17:52:37

My DS is only 13 months, but already he's a fucking nightmare. He was a big cryer as a baby and I admit that this really affects how I can deal with him now when he cries, as it drives me fucking insane.

At the moment (and for the last 3 hours) he has screamed/cried non stop and will only stop if I pick him up. I am trying to cook the dinner, so it's not wise to do so.

It's driving me insane! He does this every single day, to varying degrees, usually getting to its worst by dinner time.

I can't do ANYTHING as he just clings, screams and will then throw himself on the floor and head bang it. This all seems ridiculous for a child so young.

I'm close to fucking him out the window... -only slightly joking- any tips?!

Luckystar1 Wed 09-Dec-15 17:53:11

Strike out fail...!

He also bites.

LittlePixieMa Wed 09-Dec-15 21:19:00

Awww, sending you hugs. Have you check out Dr Sears website on fussy babies? Might help xx

Luckystar1 Wed 09-Dec-15 21:48:10

Thank you I will have a look!

LittlePixieMa Wed 09-Dec-15 22:00:19

Mine has been fussy since he was born, always wants to be in my arms, otherwise he has a meltdown! Xx

minipie Wed 09-Dec-15 22:14:37

Could he be in pain (teething/ear infection) - does he improve if you give him calpol or ibuprofen?

Luckystar1 Thu 10-Dec-15 07:04:23

He is a it sick at the moment, but generally fine. It's not connected, this is how he is. But I just struggle to cope with being so in demand all day long. The screaming can start the minute he wakes at 6am and continue (albeit intermittently) all day.

My DH is out of the house at least 12 hours a day, so it's me all day (no family even remotely close by). I'm currently very early into a new pregnancy and I'm just so tired, and so scared that 1) I'll lose another baby and 2) the next one will be as bad or worse than DS, I just will not cope!

minipie Thu 10-Dec-15 09:21:50

Is he getting enough sleep? Can he walk? Talk at all?

Biting, he is getting old enough to start to understand no, so I'd suggest saying No Biting and putting him on the floor any time he bites, he might start to get the message.

I expect the crying will improve a lot once he can walk and talk, especially talk. So all I can suggest is encouraging talking - if he is crying for something then say what it is as you give it to him, point at things and say their name as much as you can, etc.

My DD was a bit like this at this age, by 16 mo she was much happier, and she talked quite early - I think it was mainly frustration. (She was also a difficult baby, wanted constant entertainment/stimulation). Best of luck

rudolphistheboss Thu 10-Dec-15 09:29:15

My ds (13mo) is like this, mainly around dinner time when he is tired. I have a Tula carrier and put him on my back while I make dinner. At least that way he isn't biting his older sister! Sometimes he can be distracted by sitting him in his highchair with some peas or something small he has to concentrate on.

Earlier on can you stick him in the buggy and go for a walk? Everything seems better outside. My ds likes to go to the park where he can run about while the big kids are at school.

Luckystar1 Thu 10-Dec-15 11:04:04

Good ideas, I hadn't thought about the carrier!

Yes he can walk, but can only say 'cat', mama and dada - he does love to point and I try to facilitate that, and he's good at getting anything he wants if it's within reach.

The biting has been ongoing since he got teeth (4 months) and we have constantly said no, but he persists.

I think I'm just exhausted. Getting out is becoming more and more of a mission. He wants to walk but hates being directed, he screams getting into the pram and the car seat so it all just seems like a massive hurdle before anything has been achieved!

I think it's mostly me who has to just get my shit together and cope with it better - it just seems like such a battle to do anything. I just would've liked a break were he's contented for a little while.

Luckystar1 Thu 10-Dec-15 11:15:05

Oh and yes sleep is fine. I'm a bit of a psycho about sleep so I don't think that's the issue. He has 2 naps morning usually 1.5 hours and afternoon 45 mins. Bed at 7 wakes generally around 6.

rudolphistheboss Thu 10-Dec-15 11:45:46

Amazing, wish mine would sleep like that! I think they're just getting to an age where they want to be more grown up than they are. If food related bribes don't work then I get out the wooden spoons and plastic bowls. Dry pasta, oats and rice, whilst making lots of mess, is easy to sweep up and makes fun noises when stirred and played with. I also batch cook and freeze at weekends so healthy family dinners are only a microwave away grin

Luckystar1 Thu 10-Dec-15 16:30:10

Believe me the sleeping has been a long, hard slog!!

I do all of that with the pots etc! But I do like the idea of the microwave! I should really try that! I guess the hour prepping/cooking isn't really fun time for him!

Today has been a better day. Hopefully I won't spend dinner crying today!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now