Talk

Advanced search

At what age did you child start having tantrums?

(22 Posts)
SundayBea Tue 08-Dec-15 17:44:38

I have analmost 3 year old son who has never had a tantrum yet (aware this is just his temperament and not much to do with my parenting skills and also aware there is still time for him to go through a tantrum phrase) and an almost 1 year old girl who is starting to have tantrums already over everything, she gets so frustrated! After a very laid back firstborn it has come as a bit of a shock to me what a little firecracker we have had the second time around. Her personality is wonderful but very challenging in lots of ways! If your child was early to the tantrum phase did they come out of it early too? Someone reassure me this isn't going to happen all day every day for the next 4 years sad

StDogolphin Tue 08-Dec-15 17:45:41

Four, both of them!

AliveAlone Tue 08-Dec-15 17:53:27

Three, and again at Thirteen grin

Natedogg Tue 08-Dec-15 20:15:09

I can't help with when they come out of it but I have 13 month old tantruming at the moment. I posted about it just the other day. No advice but you have the same worries as me so sympathies!

Eigg Tue 08-Dec-15 20:20:34

One at 2 and one at 4.

parrotonmyshoulder Tue 08-Dec-15 20:24:09

My early one tantrummed from 15 months to well past 5. She's 6 now and has odd crazy moments but not many.

DS was later - started at almost 3, but still heavily going at 3.6!

Speederman Tue 08-Dec-15 20:26:15

DS1 - 3 years
DS2 - 12 months

BackforGood Tue 08-Dec-15 20:32:34

ds - at 14months.

How 'pfb' was I.... in my little head, I thought he must be very advanced to be starting his "2yr old tantrums" so young blush but I also convinced myself that meant he'd stop them at a younger age too. Wrong grin. He was about 16 or 17 when he stopped.

dd1, however, just never bothered. She's 17 now and never had a tantrum. confused

Littlef00t Wed 09-Dec-15 10:37:44

Dd started tantrums at 11 months, but basically stopped at 16mo when she could communicate better. Assuming there are more to come but she's a delight at the mo (21mo).

waitingforsomething Wed 09-Dec-15 16:58:37

Dd was 18mo. Ds is mercifully still a baby...!

skankingpiglet Thu 10-Dec-15 20:48:38

DD started at 14mo. She's 18mo now and they are getting more dramatic by the day sad I've got everything crossed things will improve as she learns a few more words and can communicate better, as it's clearly often frustration at not being able to get me to understand what weird crazy thing she wants. Yesterday she had a meltdown because I'd peeled her banana for her... How on earth was I to know not to? She'll be getting them whole and in the skin from now on! and I'm sure that'll be wrong too

Tfoot75 Thu 10-Dec-15 20:53:37

At about 1 year, but never very bad. Now 2.5 and very rarely tantrummed since 2. May yet come back, or more likely were a problem of combined lack of communication skills and poor sleep!!

Girlfriend36 Thu 10-Dec-15 20:58:38

Dd at about 18 months started having proper lie on her back, throw herself about like a creature possessed tantrums! She stopped when she was 6yo for the most part sorry!!

Tbf she has since been diagnosed with sensory issues which explains some of her difficulties in coping with otherwise every day activities (certain clothes, to much going on, over tiredness etc)

Dignitasismypension5000 Thu 10-Dec-15 21:12:37

Between 12 and 18 months. Went on until about 4.
Has been a star since she is 9 now x x

macarooni Fri 11-Dec-15 13:08:36

ds is 11 and has never had a tantrum...so laid back, that now its causing a bit of problems as hes so dreamy....wonder whats in store for teenage years

ds 8 probably started around 2...when e couldnt do what big bro could....behaviour was pretty full on until about 6 and then he liked being 'a good boy' hmm

dd 6 was so sweet until she was about 2, i thought id got myself another dreamy but it kicked in majorly then....but not really tantrums, more emotional meltdowns/upset than rage...it still happens now!

CwtchMeQuick Fri 11-Dec-15 13:22:52

DS started about 11 months. He's 3.5 now and we're down to the occasional tantrum when he's tired. He goes through phases of being an absolute horror and then being lovely for a few weeks to lull me into a false sense of security
On the plus side 2 years of constant tantrums mean I'm pretty unphased by them now. Mostly I go hmm 'you really think that's gonna work?' And he stops before I start confiscating toys

thewhitepowerranger Sat 12-Dec-15 18:11:20

One of mine threw tantrums practically from birth until 18 months old, then stopped and became a very easy child who has never had another tantrum since then. The other started a bit before 2.

rhetorician Sat 12-Dec-15 22:04:18

DD1 started just before 3 and didn't really stop until about 6 - but 3 and 4 were um quite full on. DD2 started earlier, 18 months maybe, but doesn't really do tantrums much now at just 4 she is a stroppy mare in other ways, but a very articulate one

BertieBotts Sat 12-Dec-15 22:22:37

DS was about 18m but they didn't get bad until 3, he's just turned human at 7!

Boredofthinkingofnewnames Sat 12-Dec-15 22:41:28

3.5 and still going at 4.5, they're not often but when they happen they are monumental.

Ijustworemytrenchcoat Sun 13-Dec-15 21:18:23

About a year, head banging. He's almost 2 and a half now and in full on melt down mode several times a day.

SaloonBalloon Sun 13-Dec-15 21:24:32

Maybe tantrums aren't such a bad thing.
I never had a tantrum (apparently) but I am a very emotional adult so perhaps that's because I never had many opportunities to learn to bear difficult emotions.

My youngest DD has never had a tantrum. Yes she gets cross and upset but only ever lasts a few minutes. No flailing around on the floor.

Eldest has had many and still on occasion at almost 8!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now